Having Cels Autographed

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Mr_Chris

Having Cels Autographed

Post by Mr_Chris »

What is the consensus on having a cel signed by the seiyu? I think if I did, I'd prefer to have a blank cel signed to be placed in front of the actual cel.
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Having Cels Autographed

Post by Kasi »

If it were me, personally I'd rather the cel signed, but not over any part of the artwork :) it certainly doesn't devalue the work ;D
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I think most people would recommend having the person sign on a separate piece of blank acetate. This has a few benefits. Some people feel an autograph decreases the value of the cel instead of increasing it. This can be the case if it is personalized with your name; something that is very common nowadays. Personalized autographs may make the cel special to you, but not necessarily to someone else. This can be a problem if you want to sell it in the future. Of course if you never plan on selling it, then it really doesn't matter. Still, having it on a separate layer leaves the option open. There are also some collectors who worry that the ink from the autograph may damage the cel in the long run. This is probably open to debate, but it does seem prudent to have the signature on a different layer.
Last edited by graymouser on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I'm kinda a purist about autographs. I think if I were ever to get one, I'd want it on a separate layer that can be removed if desired. I think any sort of writing directly on the cel--whether it be on the actual paint or to the side--is BAD! Unthinkable to me. Plus, I'd be more interested in the animator's name rather than the corresponding voice actor. :)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Definitely on a separate layer! This would allow you to keep the autograph if you ever wanted to sell the cel. Also, getting autographs of voice actors is tricky...since there are often 2: one English and one Japanese. Personally, I have zero interest in English VAs*, so would never buy anything that had been signed by them. I know some people feel the same way about the Japanese VAs. Over-all, it doesn't seem like a good idea.

*many years ago, I nearly had a heart attack someone updated a very rare cel to their online gallery...with the signature of an American voice actor ON THE CEL. In my opinion, this person had massively devalued what would have been a several hundred dollar cel.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

ReiTheJelly wrote:Definitely on a separate layer! This would allow you to keep the autograph if you ever wanted to sell the cel. Also, getting autographs of voice actors is tricky...since there are often 2: one English and one Japanese. Personally, I have zero interest in English VAs*, so would never buy anything that had been signed by them. I know some people feel the same way about the Japanese VAs. Over-all, it doesn't seem like a good idea.

*many years ago, I nearly had a heart attack someone updated a very rare cel to their online gallery...with the signature of an American voice actor ON THE CEL. In my opinion, this person had massively devalued what would have been a several hundred dollar cel.
I totally agree with this. Definitely no english VA autographs on the actual cel -- separate layer is fine, but definitely not on the cel itself. Honestly, I'd prefer any autograph to be on a separate layer.
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

I agree with autographs on a separate layer only. I feel cels are artwork and any type of signature or writing put on it (done after the initial work was created) would completely devalue it, no matter how important the signer was. I feel the same way about comic books. If you have a really old comic book like something from the golden age, I feel having it signed would be a travesty (even if the signer originally worked on creating it). Some things just devalue once writing is put onto them, and my personal opinion is that cels are in that category. (Not to mention the chemical damage that everyone else commented about).
Mr_Chris

Post by Mr_Chris »

I'm in synch with the consensus here. An English VA... not on my watch ^_^

Is there any place to get a blank cel?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

^Try E-bay :)

When Masamitsu Hidaka came to AX, I wanted to get my Pokemon cel signed. I purchased some blank acetate sheets on E-bay and placed that on top of the cel for Hidaka to sign.

I agree with most of the other posts - If you want the guest to sign the cel, use a blank piece of acetate. I was always concerned that something in the marker's ink could possibly deteriorate the cel even more.
pixie_princess
Kamisama - God

Post by pixie_princess »

I vote for the signature being on a separate layer as well. I purchased some from an art store, and purchased a special paint marker as well as running fading tests to see how the strip would weather over time to heat, sunlight, and cold (over a vent). You can always keep the signature even if you sell the cel. :)
Elot
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Elot »

Id definitely let the japanese VA signed on my cels anytime. Letting someone signed on a blank acetate and displaying infront of a cel for me has no meaning and feels very fake. Value wise, a cel is not done by unique painters so having it signed by Original Creator and VA is the closest authenticity you can get

Elot