I feel awk now asking that.. on Rubberslug

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Lain
Anime Geek

I feel awk now asking that.. on Rubberslug

Post by Lain »

I wasn't sure how to put this question- because i don't want ppl to think i am desperate or crazy :(
It's just on Rubberslug i am excited to show and display my cels.
And of course we want to find our favorite Anime Series cels to display.
I understand that there is a forum in Rubberslug called "Market" were ppl have there cels to sell.
But because i am not sure because though am looking for a anime series and cels in the series that i know take time to acquire .
*Ok i thought to ask on a cleints page under "feedback" - about a SELain cel in there collection-
Please tell me because i don't know i am stepping outside the boundaries?
1. Is this wrong to ask i client on Rubberslug it they would accept an Offer for a cel they would have in there collection?
2. But i notice this cel was listed back in 2003 which i think either
a/the client is no longer on the website anymore?
or
b/Or my message is to cheeky? and they will not reply
It's just i very want to collect this layer series of around 10 cels, i know it all be a real task to find all of them But i will try :bounce
here is the link - ( my wishlist is to find all the lain cels in this scene with her friends in Shibuya eating candy)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/serial_exp ... 869082573/

I am sorry if my comment or questions were like a bad fairground ride :^^:
My Serial Experiments Lain Page.
I am slowly getting around to adding my lain merchandise to my flickr page and lain cel's (^.^) i own 1
And say hi to my mod happy eggy bunny :)
http://animelife.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/serial_experiments_lain/ Image
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: I feel awk now asking that.. on Rubberslug

Post by kamidake »

1. I think it is okay to ask somebody whether they are willing to accept offers on a certain cel, I'm a true believer in "it doesn't hurt to ask." The key is being polite, and not sound entitled to anything, or be offended if the person says no. Because I would say 90% of the time, those kind of inquiries ends up with a "no, it is not for sale."

2. This one is a little hard to respond to, since it could be a whole variety of reasons you're not hearing back. It could be this person no longer collects and no longer checks the e-mail linked to the feedback system. Could be he/she chooses to ignore your email because the cel is not for sale (although I usually find this rude, and personally I would answer any e-mail inquiries even if the answer is no). Could also be this person is on the east coast and in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy and currently have no power and no means to respond to you. You can be persistent and try again in a week, or just resign to the fact that you're probably not going to be able to get that cel.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors.
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Messages don't always go through Rubberslug. I've messaged people and some PMs haven't gone through. A couple PMs sent me didn't go through.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

I have contacted cel collectors in the past who have not updated their websites since around 2003 or 2006. Most of the time I never hear back, but once I heard from a collector about a year after I sent the email. It never hurts to try if you really want the cel - it may just take some time to get it.
Kasi
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Kasi »

I also think its fine so long as you're polite and not pushy. I've only been contacted once about a cel I had no plans on selling, but I accepted a trade for. So you never know, you might get lucky ;)
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Ditto sugarcels: I've gotten some things I really wanted this way from people who are no longer active collectors and are ready to move their possessions to better homes. And also "Gee, I'd be happy to sell that to you that but I honestly don't know where it is any more." :emb

When approached this way, my reaction is to be flattered rather than annoyed. While my most cherished pieces are obviously NFS, I might well come back with a counter-proposal: "How about this item instead?" With the supply of new stock on the auction scene visibly dwindling, I think the collector-to-collector market is going to become the dominant form of collecting, and with some series I think it already is.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

I have asked about and been sold lovelies by collectors through feedback.
Keep trying :cheers
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
Lain
Anime Geek

Post by Lain »

kamidake, Keropi, sugarcels, Kasi, sensei and kathpatty :) Thank you for your lovely replies.
I have to say i am so very lucky as the -Cel owner- replied positively :D now i just have to be patient and wait, as the cel owner is moving and life stuff..
:cat
My Serial Experiments Lain Page.
I am slowly getting around to adding my lain merchandise to my flickr page and lain cel's (^.^) i own 1
And say hi to my mod happy eggy bunny :)
http://animelife.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/serial_experiments_lain/ Image
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

That's great to hear, Lain. Good luck with your purchase :)
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

Good luck! I hope it all works out :)