Numbering for -Background- Art in Animes

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Lain
Anime Geek

Numbering for -Background- Art in Animes

Post by Lain »

I was just wondering-

In a Sequence cut there will be a -background Art-
So if it is - Cut number 210 <-- this will be written on the background cardboard paper in the right hand area.
My question is-
Can a Background be numbered A-1 end or B-3 end?
[/u]
Just asking because i won a cel (it's the lain cel, from my other thread) -The seller replied and said "it has such numbers as A-1 end and B-3 end" and i think by looking at the image the sequence cut number is written on the background art under the SC on the cel.
So i am thinking there must be 2 cels?
If you would like to look at the lain cel it's on my Flickr page (it's the first 4 images) just click on the link below.
My Serial Experiments Lain Page.
I am slowly getting around to adding my lain merchandise to my flickr page and lain cel's (^.^) i own 1
And say hi to my mod happy eggy bunny :)
http://animelife.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/serial_experiments_lain/ Image
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Numbering for -Background- Art in Animes

Post by sensei »

Yes, you're right. There will be a cut number written (usually in pencil) on the top right corner of the background. Sometimes there will also be a number in front with a dash, like "7-16." The first number is generally the episode number. When the number on the background matches the number to the left of the sequence numbers (A1, B3, etc.), then you have proof that the background is the original matching production art.

Edit: I responded in a hurry this morning, and in re-reading the query I realize I should answer more directly.

No, the background will not say "A1 END" or something of that sort. The cel will have that indication on it. Your set-up seems to have two cels, taped together, an A1 END face layer and a B3 (probably) mouth layer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sequence cut." The term used by anime studios is "cut." I have seen the abbreviations "S" and "C" on sketches and timing sheets used by Toei Animation, but that studio uses a peculiar way of numbering groups of cels/sketches. Toei divides up their episodes by "scene" (essentially, all the shots that take place in the same location with the same characters) and then by "cut" (all the images in a given series from the same camera perspective). In a live action production, this would be a "shot," but in animation there is no camera filming actors on a real sound stage, and so the "shot" occurs only in the animator's imagination. So a Toei cel/sketch would be labeled S 34 C 10. But nearly every other series, including Lain, just numbers all the shots in one numerical order from start to finish (typically around 300).

It's customary in the US to talk about "Sequence numbers" such as A1 END and B3, but I don't know if that is a term used by anime studios or not. In any case I've never heard the term "sequence cut."

To add to the ambiguity, I looked at a Toei Animation timing sheet on my desk and found a special column between the section giving the genga numbers (labeled in English "ACTION") and that giving the douga numbers, which are different because the inbetweeners are added at this point. This column is labeled simply "S." On checking a couple of examples, I find that this is where the dialog among the characters is recorded, syllable by syllable. So in this case I don't know what "S" stands for. Obviously not "Scene" and I doubt it means "Sequence." Maybe what the characters "Say." Toei outsourced animation to Korea and other places, and these staffers doubtless understood English better than Japanese. At least two sketches I got in my last batch have plaintive notes in the margin that say "NEED TRANSRATION" (sic).
Last edited by sensei on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

If a background consists of several different layers, these will often be numbered as 'A', 'B', and so on. So, if a background from the 8th cut of an episode has three layers, they will be numbered 8A, 8B and 8C.

With a lot of newer production backgrounds, though, the episode number is often omitted from the background. I suppose that's because the background would usually be paired with the layout for scanning purposes, and usually the episode number is listed on the layout instead. Often, all you'll see now is just the cut number, and then, if the background has multiple layers, a letter determining its position. A lot of my recent background purchases do not feature the episode number on the backgrounds.

I haven't seen a background yet that will tell you how many cels, or sketches, will be featured on that particular background. I've seen this usually written on douga or genga, though.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

I can think of two possibilities. It could be that the background is painted on acetate instead of regular background paper. I have a few "backgrounds" that are really just solid paint cel layers. Here is a cel with its "background".

The brown background is solid paint and is a completely separate layer from the face and veil layers. It is labelled A1E

The second possibility is the seller may be referring to a book layer. The reason I say this is that it looks like the cel sequence may be backlit (maybe -if it is, it is not very brightly done). This would mean that there is no background (or only a partial background) for the sequence. The numbers may really be on a book layer. The labels for book layers seem to be pretty inconsistent. I have some book layers that are blank; others that are labelled "book", "book-1" or "book-a"; and others with normal sequence numbers.

Book layer is blank http://itamejihada.net/cels/bastard/bastard1d.html
Book layer is book http://itamejihada.net/cels/ccs/ccs3i.html
Book layer is book-2 http://itamejihada.net/cels/bj/bj2k.html
Book layer is book-A http://itamejihada.net/cels/x/x1a.html
Book layers is B-1 http://itamejihada.net/cels/ns/ns1c.html This last one from Ninja scroll is inconsistent within itself. The cel is A-1, the first book layer is B-1 and the second book layer is C-3-book. Both book layers are painted on acetate. The only difference I see is in the type of paint used. The B-1 layers is painted with regular acrylic paint while the C-3-book is painted with something different (maybe watercolor to match the look of the background?)

Do you have the background in hand or are you waiting for it to arrive? It would be easier to tell if I could see what part is being referred to.
graymouser
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by graymouser »

Oops, I never read through the other thread entirely. I would agree that the cel has two layers. One layer of the face (A layer) and a mouth layer with a few sequences (B layers). The cut number is 16. For some reason, I thought you meant that a sequence number was written on the background. I was trying to figure out how a "background" could have a sequence number.
Lain
Anime Geek

Post by Lain »

Hi :D
@Sensei - iam sorry about my confusing the words sequence and cut. oops:)

But i have watched the sequence from the Anime alot of times :P too notice for any differences in the motion between layers ie. fine Details to see if the whole layer was repainted each time, but i very much doubt this is the case.
But i did notice in the 4 seconds in the Anime of Mika that there is a small faint round spot that is distinct (it is next to her left forehead very close to her hair line between and i also noticed it in the YJ auction image of her . So i am thinking it's got to be the only layer of the face. But it's hard to pick up the second layer (for the mouth movement ) as the picture quality is not great on the YJ auction.
:) When i receive the "lain cel" i will post all the details and pictures .
Again i'm sorry about my explanation's used its just so happy to hear all your expert opinions .
It means alot. :cat
My Serial Experiments Lain Page.
I am slowly getting around to adding my lain merchandise to my flickr page and lain cel's (^.^) i own 1
And say hi to my mod happy eggy bunny :)
http://animelife.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://www.flickr.com/photos/serial_experiments_lain/ Image