sketch kinda sticky onto the bag?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

sketch kinda sticky onto the bag?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

while I was scanning and bagging some larger sketches today I used some bags that's been sitting around on my table for ages. and when I tried to put the sketch into bag, I find it difficult to get the sketch into the bag because half way into the bag it got all sticky and I had to grab the sketch from inside bag to pull it down and make fit.

I forgot what kind of bag this is, but I remember the seller telling me that its good for both cel and sketch, so my question is that is this stickiness normal? or do I need to get new bags? also for future reference can anyone tell me a good place to get large bags for oversize sketch storage?
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: sketch kinda sticky onto the bag?

Post by sensei »

Hard to tell: is it the bag or the sketch. Some sketches are done on paper that the studio had manufactured in a pack something like Sticky Notes. The artist did the sketch on the pad and then tore it off. (And sadly the adhesive that holds these together, like Sticky Note glue, is not stable but turns brown with age). It's possible there's some residual adhesive on the back of the sketch. Or static electricity? The inside of the bag itself shouldn't be sticky.

Anyhow bagsunlimited.com is a great source for all kinds of bags, microchamber paper, archival boxes, etc. They will certainly have the size you want.
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

Is it actually wet/sticky, or just static? I find that a lot of bags seem to have a bit of static electricity buildup, probably from rubbing together in the package, and that can make it tougher to separate the bags from each other and to open the bag itself. I just pull them open and shake them out a little, seems to take care of most of it. If there's actually some kind of residue in the bag, I would take or send them back where they came from and demand a refund. ;)
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure what kind problem it was, bag or the sketch. but then it happened to more than one type of paper, both genga and douga,and mandarake's rough sketch type paper, when I tired to fit the sketch fully into the bag there was serious resistance from within the bag. so to be safe I think I'll order some new bags from bagsunlimited.

I remember getting some kind of super large bags from this site, forgot what kind it is but its also got this stick problem with both genga and douga when fitting. I'm just afraid that over time the pencil line might start to smear off or stick onto the bag-_-" I'm looking for something hopefully around 22 by 14. I could also get two standard bags together but would certainly prefer single bag if possible. to be sure, what kind of bag is best for sketch and whats best for cel?
sensei

Post by sensei »

Bags Unlimited has Polypro and Polyethylene bags ("sleeves" they call them) up to 22 x 26 and probably larger if you hunt around on the site. As for the 14 x 22 size, you're in luck: they're having an overstock sale on this size this week:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-5176-win ... leeve.aspx

I prefer the polypro as it does seem less "sticky" than Polyethylene when sliding art in. But from what I hear either one is fine for both cels and sketches.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks for pointing out the deal sensei! I ordered some bags as well as the microchamber paper you suggested on your thread. one question for the paper, when placing it on top of the cel/sketch, does it have to touch all/most of the surface of the piece or just leaving a big enough piece on the center of the image be sufficient?
sensei

Post by sensei »

I don't know. You'd probably need to run a controlled test to see. But my sense is that the paper's main property is to suck up and neutralize any fumes being emitted by any part of the cel. So probably its presence in the container with the cel is sufficient even if it does not physically cover the whole object. As I read Ms Saracino's description of Disney's practice, the paper is simply included in the folder containing the cel, but not placed on it in any specific way.

In a follow-up note from my VS-affected Collector 1, the observation was made that the most prominent out-gassing occurs on the top of the cel, rather than on the painted bottom. I'm no chemist (nor a chemist's son) but I'd guess that this is a factor of the paint preventing the gasses given off by the plastic from being emitted on that side. Thus (I'm guessing! help me, chemists!) the fumes may have to work their way from the back to the front side of the sheet, thus making these parts of the cel the most at risk.

Certainly in most of the cases I've seen, the process began at the back of a stack of cels that were stuck together, making cels above the problem spot deform and buckle even though there was no paint on them at that spot. So the most damaging acetic acid fumes seem to come back to front rather than vice versa. So the most logical place to put a sheet would be on or above the front of the cel rather than behind it. (But I could be wrong! Chemists?)

Besides, as I noted in the other thread, I know of no tests that would show whether cel paints would stick to MicroChamber paper, causing a new problem.