A curiosity

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

A curiosity

Post by Gonzai »

I noticed this auction on eBay for a Kikyo cel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Anime-Cel-InuYa ... 3ccde1d186

I once owned the pan cel of this image, and it was an A1E with the original pan background.
It now resides in Maiken's gallery here:

http://www.maiken2051.com/gallery/cel.p ... =27&page=3

So, my question is this, "If the pan is an A1E with the original bakcground, why would they also make a standard size
cel of the exact same image?" Wouldn't they just re-use the top half of the pan cel if they wanted to display tha image
of her??

I have seen other scenes where there is a pan cel of an image and then a few other standard size cels,
but those all had movement and were not A1E cels. This particular scene has no movement, only the
pan up of the image, so why make additional cels for it?? :shrug
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: A curiosity

Post by sensei »

Not knowing the whole Inuyasha story arc as thoroughly as I should, I'll hazard a guess. The scene is so significant that it probably recurs later on as part of a flashback or collage of images from past episodes. As this image flitted by quickly with others, the pan effect wasn't used and a standard-sized cel was easier to use. So the studio did a second cel for these flashback moments.

And background too? Wouldn't be unheard of. I have a big bg from A Tree of Palme that goes with a scene in which there's a rather corpulent character talking to one of the main figures. As his body takes up so much space, the background painter did not finish the scene on the part that he was standing in front of. But then a few seconds later, he turns and leaves, and in that cut the background is finished corner to corner. Finally I blew up a portion of the scenery from the two cuts and compared them: very similar but different in many, many fine details. So the studio had two canvas-sized backgrounds ordered for this scene. It would be interesting to compare the bg with the cel you owned with the one on eBay to see if the same thing is true.

Of course the eBay cel could also be a forgery done from a screen cap, but it doesn't look like one to me.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

sensei wrote:Not knowing the whole Inuyasha story arc as thoroughly as I should, I'll hazard a guess. The scene is so significant that it probably recurs later on as part of a flashback or collage of images from past episodes.
Haha, yeah, they replay that scene to death XD No pun intended... As for a possible forgery, I highly doubt it. I've bought a couple of cels from them and I always do a very careful screen cap check. I won't buy anything that doesn't match up 100%. So unless they are reeeeeally good at forging...I doubt that's a possibility. I'd still check it against the scene though :)
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

I tend to agree with KuroiTsubasa4 here. I think this is a pretty reputible seller,
so I don't believe its a forgery. I just don't understand why the studio would make
additional cels for an A1E scene. It just seems to me that they would reuse the
pan image in a flashback scene, even if its just the top 1/2 of the pan image.
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Gonzai wrote:I tend to agree with KuroiTsubasa4 here. I think this is a pretty reputible seller,
so I don't believe its a forgery. I just don't understand why the studio would make
additional cels for an A1E scene. It just seems to me that they would reuse the
pan image in a flashback scene, even if its just the top 1/2 of the pan image.
Not that I've actually seen all of IY, but wasn't this done with the images of Inu himself from this same scene? There's more than one sequence of it, if I remember correctly. (Or not? >_<) So, I guess it wouldn't seem all that much of a stretch to see that they went and did it with Kikyo, too.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I've seen this once.... not in a cel, but in a genga from Saiyuki. I'm not sure WHY the scene was drawn that way. The example I have wasn't used for a flashback, though the part that was redrawn as a normal size cel was held for an extended period as the character in question talked. (So, in this, the situation is slightly different. The main image is an A1end pan that is static, then there is a redrawn section of the character's head/shoulders which exactly matches the top of the A1end pan other than being standard sized, then there are mouth layers, which are all being the same standard-size as the as the redrawn portion of the larger pan.) Maybe that had something to do with it?

Sadly, my scanner died HARD just before Christmas and I was apparently too lazy to fully scan the one set like this that I own, so I can't show the example.
90sKid
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by 90sKid »

If you guys look between the two cels, you'll notice that the one on ebay is slightly different in the fact that Kikyo's hair is moving by the wind. This is even more apparent in the actual scene from episode 1 (go to exactly 1 minute in to see the scene):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scq1tydQMjM

You can see after the original pan image that Kikyo's bow string and her hair are animated, and as we all know that requires different cels put in place of the original pan image. So even though that pan cel is marked A1E for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be the only cel in that animation sequence since they animate Kikyo's bow, hair, and the leaves once they reach the top of the original pan cel. Maybe it was mismarked as an A1E? Or the animators decided to count that one pan shot as it's own "scene" before animating Kikyo? (Maybe the animation for the bow string was counted as it's own sequence?) I'm still learning about all of the technical parts of this stuff, so I don't really have an explanation lol, other than the fact that that Kikyo cel on ebay seems quite real since it does match the scene exactly.
kizu
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by kizu »

This actually happened to one of my Kenshin cels so I don't think it's weird. I can't remember whether it was one of those cut scenes... Like they pan the image first, then go to a commercial and then start with the regular size with A1.
Yuuki
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Yuuki »

90sKid wrote:If you guys look between the two cels, you'll notice that the one on ebay is slightly different in the fact that Kikyo's hair is moving by the wind. This is even more apparent in the actual scene from episode 1 (go to exactly 1 minute in to see the scene):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scq1tydQMjM

You can see after the original pan image that Kikyo's bow string and her hair are animated, and as we all know that requires different cels put in place of the original pan image. So even though that pan cel is marked A1E for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to be the only cel in that animation sequence since they animate Kikyo's bow, hair, and the leaves once they reach the top of the original pan cel. Maybe it was mismarked as an A1E? Or the animators decided to count that one pan shot as it's own "scene" before animating Kikyo? (Maybe the animation for the bow string was counted as it's own sequence?) I'm still learning about all of the technical parts of this stuff, so I don't really have an explanation lol, other than the fact that that Kikyo cel on ebay seems quite real since it does match the scene exactly.
Hi guys, random person walking by and I think I can answer your 'why for's!

The Kikyo pan is a held cel - there is no animation on her, only a camera move, so they've marked the cel separately to keep it distinct from the rest of the animation (her bow string would have had it's own animation). Once the pan stops and the character animation begins, there is no reason to continue using the pan sized cel since you're now only seeing the top half of the animation (plus the acetate was probably custom cut for the pan) and the animation cel size is reset to standard. It'd be uneconomical to animate on a full pan size if you're only seeing the top half of the sheet. I would guess that there's a regular A1 cel out there that's (close to if not) identical to the A1E, only cut off at standard size - or they went right to A2. You would however use the same BG for the entire scene, regardless of cel size (so one of those two kikyo cels has a laser copy BG - there's identical brush and sponge work on both that you can't make happen twice)

If the pan is going on and the image isn't held, then everything is animated on the pan size but reset to standard frame size when the camera move stops.

The pan shot wouldn't be counted as a scene on it's own :) you need to cut to a different shot entirely for a new scene to be marked.
sensei wrote:And background too? Wouldn't be unheard of. I have a big bg from A Tree of Palme that goes with a scene in which there's a rather corpulent character talking to one of the main figures. As his body takes up so much space, the background painter did not finish the scene on the part that he was standing in front of. But then a few seconds later, he turns and leaves, and in that cut the background is finished corner to corner. Finally I blew up a portion of the scenery from the two cuts and compared them: very similar but different in many, many fine details. So the studio had two canvas-sized backgrounds ordered for this scene. It would be interesting to compare the bg with the cel you owned with the one on eBay to see if the same thing is true.
In the scene you're talking about, between the point where your cel is and where the character walks off, is there another shot inbetween of something else? Or does it move continuously from your cel right into that character exiting? If it's continuous then LOL that's just weird... but if not, then that makes some sense, because it'd be two different scenes with two different layouts drawn. They could have saved some work/paint by just using the full BG for both... but obviously that didn't happen.

Hope that helps!
http://toppegged.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp - Tracy's Cel Collection
http://teaelleharris.tumblr.com/ ~ TeaElle Art and Animation