Moving, how to transport cels?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Moving, how to transport cels?

Post by Xelloss »

I'm going to be forced to use movers for my cels this time, and I'm as nervous as heck. Bringing them myself isn't going to happen, it's too soon and too far - and also too many!

I've got 11x14, 11x17, 14x17, and 18x24 itoya books, multiples of each, plus lose sketch sets and plastic containers of autograph boards. I probably have about 24 cubic feet of art (uh... how did that happen?)

I'd prefer to put the books in study plastic containers, but the bigger ones are a huge challenge. I've always moved them myself in the past, but I'm going to have to do it in all one go and have about 24 cubic feet of art.

I've also got many lose sketch sets I don't know what to do with or how to have the movers handle safely.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

- Karen
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Moving, how to transport cels?

Post by JWR »

Best I can recommend is to request some boxes from the moving company and carefully pack them yourself. Make sure to number them so you can take a quick inventory of the boxes once they have been delivered.

Cels and sketches should "travel" ok for I know that I have seen how some cel dealers transport their cels & sketches to conventions without any causing any damage.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Gonzai
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Gonzai »

Midori brings all of their cels and skethces in big metal suitcases from Japan.
It always seems to me that they travel safely, and don't have any issues. I
think JWR is correct, though, make sure you pack them yourself. ^_^
kungfulkoder

Post by kungfulkoder »

Read up or ask your moving company about their policy regarding self-packed boxes. When I used Graebel, they had a policy of not letting you pack anything. If you did, they unpacked and re-packed themselves, or you had to sign off on it and release them from any liability on what you self packed.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

Honestly, if you can at all avoid it, AVOID movers. I have had HORRIBLE experiences with them and I had to move cross country twice in one year (from CA to NY and NY to TX). In fact, talk to them about their insurance policies in case of loss or damage. The movers I used would only replace 60 cents per lb of item damaged. And they would not cover my art. I ended up renting a car and driving dross country with my cels when I transported them. Or, if that is not an option, ship your cels by Fedex or UPS with full insurance coverage. They are about as safe as movers in terms of risk of damage. However, they at least will offer full insurance coverage if lost or damaged.

So, my framed cels, I actually bought framing shipping boxes. They are long flatter boxes. I would place 2 or 3 framed cels in each one and wrapped then first with bubble wrap (individually), then separated them by wrapping them with towels (individually), then I placed them into the box. The corners were reinforced with extra bubble wrap. I used this method on all my expensive Disney cels, and 100% of them arrived without a single chip ont he frame or any damage on the cel (and these cels are extremely brittle compared to Anime cels).

But, like I said, if you can avoid movers to transport any of your expensive art, do it.