Does bugs and bug spray hurt artworks?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Does bugs and bug spray hurt artworks?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Summers here and bug spray needs to be applied in every room very soon, both spray and the one that emits smoke in the air. I got all my cels stored into portfolios inside carrying art portfolios and lots of sketches into archival boxes, both are covered up with tablecloths. Would that be enough to protect them or must I move them elsewhere to be safe?

The other question is just that, lots of different kinds of bugs where I live, I have yet to find them inside any storage box or portfolios but one time I did see a spider trying to get into a box, I don't think spiders would hurt any artwork, but I can't imagine what other kinds of bugs will do. Any veteran suggestions?
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Re: Does bugs and bug spray hurt artworks?

Post by Keropi »

When I bug bombed my room and when I fumigated my house I took all of my artwork out of the room/house before it all went down. :D

But I haven't studied up on what it could do to your artwork. One reason why I never bug bombed my room again was because I don't feel like pulling all my paper collectibles out of my room again. I have a lot more of them than when I bombed it the first time. I think the biggest concern from the whole thing is the tiny amount of residue you get from the liquid falling directly on flat surfaces. I had a tiny bit of that that after my did the room. The stuff in the air itself poses a lesser problem, but it's still something that's there in small quantities.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Re: Does bugs and bug spray hurt artworks?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

This is the first time we'll be doing it in a few years, but damn bugs are getting on our nerves lol I'm glad someone had previous exp with this kinda stuff. I'm not really sure where to move the artworks though because its gonna be for the entire house. And yeah, it'd be great to know what effects the residues would have on the artworks afterwards, if there are any.