Shikishi Preservation Methods

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Infornography

Shikishi Preservation Methods

Post by Infornography »

Hey Guys, first real post here.

Thanks to you guys, I've gotten a better idea of cel preservation methods so I can do a better job day 1.

But what about shikishi collections? I've got a pretty sizable collection and I'm worried about keeping

them all pristine. Any tips and/or suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Shikishi Preservation Methods

Post by cutiebunny »

Welcome to RS, IF :cheers

I package all my shikishi with microchamber paper on the back of each shikishi, and then put them inside polyethylene bags. Each of these then goes inside a B4 sized polypropylene folder. I store each of these binders in a cabinet where they do not get sunlight (but there's some air flow). I find that the shikishi are not as volatile as the cels are but they still need to be cared for. I buy the folders at Daiso, and they have 10 pouches per folder.

The problem with shikishi is that you don't know what quality of paper was used. Was this a shikishi from the dollar store or something a bit finer? And even then, I haven't noticed any difference between shikishi purchased at the dollar store and those that weren't provided that conservation methods were used. I know people who complain about shikishi turning colors, and these are generally the ones that store them in the same plastic bags that the shikishi were originally sold in and then display them. I've had some shikishi for years and I haven't noticed any yellowing along the edges. Even the one from 1995 that was stored in a polypropylene bag still looks just as vibrant as it did back then. My oldest shikishi that I personally obtained is from 2008 and I have not seen any discoloring.

I also think that one of the more critical factors is the type of ink used to draw on them. Was it an acid free marker like a Copic or was it a permanent marker? That's one reason why I always try to bring Copics to cons - I'd rather they draw with those than with the black perm marker the cons give them.

I usually bring acid free paper with me to cons and have the artists draw on that. That way, at least I know the paper is acid free.
Jarmel
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Jarmel »

Do watercolors last a long time?
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

The oldest watercolor I have is from 2003 and it seems to be retaining its color well. I don't think watercolor is a medium that you have to worry about too much. Shikishi boards were originally designed for ink based calligraphy.