Shikishi - for Japanese guests only?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Shikishi - for Japanese guests only?

Post by AR-99 »

Going to Saboten Con in couple weeks and the guest of honor will be Yuko Miyamura. I was thinking of also picking up autographs from the other Eva dub actors and maybe some other guests but haven't really seen instances of non-Japanese folks signing shikishi. Has this also been done in your experience and would they be OK with it? Shikishi are a permitted signing item but likely not as well known to the non-Japanese guests. However I would rather get one signed over a program if I can.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Shikishi - for Japanese guests only?

Post by cutiebunny »

I've seen a few instances where non Japanese guests will be presented with shikishi. It seems to be pretty popular with the kids at AX who have just learned what a shikishi board is, but only like dubs.

If you're worried about it, why not bring some merchandise instead, such as a poster or a DVD, with you? You can present the seiyuu with the shikishi and then give the merchandise to the rest of the guests. That way, in case the con has the US voice actors signing at the same time as the seiyuu, you can give everyone something to sign. And, depending on how busy the con is, you may be able to get two things signed by Miyamura - the shikishi and the merchandise.

Have fun at SabotenCon :)
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Shikishi - for Japanese guests only?

Post by AR-99 »

99% of the anime goods I have now have are for Eva as I largely got rid of everything else and am very selective of what non-Eva stuff I pick up, so I may not have something for the non-Eva people to sign. Thus shikishi would be a good alternative. I would like to get all the Eva dub actors on a single shikishi if possible, that would be something. I used to get the program or available merch I could pick up signed but shikishi are just different and meant to be signed or drawn on, so now I prefer to get those imprinted as a souvenir when I can.