Sailor Moon Scanner "red-pink colour problem"

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Sailor Moon Scanner "red-pink colour problem"

Post by Nehelenia »

Hello. Recently i started scanning my cels. Till now i used to take photos of them since it looked easier.
I knew there was a problem with he sailor moon pink but i thought it could easily be fixed in photoshop later.
So i scanned all my cels and i noticed all the pink-red colours of sailor moon turned out light brown. So i tried to fix them in photoshop but it's nearly impossible and you have to trace all the area to get a fair result.
Anyway my question is: is there any way to set up the scanner so it can scan this colour as well? Is it an all scanners problem, or if i buy a specific scanner model i will be able to scan this colour as well?
Any info will be helpfull, thank you.
GoalieZero
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Sailor Moon Scanner "red-pink colour problem"

Post by GoalieZero »

What is your scanner model and options are you using when scanning (have you any correction settings checked?) and also what version of Photoshop are you using?

From my personal experience with my crappy HP printer/scanner, my scanner desaturates certain colors and does seem to skew the hue (temperature) of the colors.
This is mostly due to the scanner light overpowering the colors and the reflective properties of the plastic.

If you're using any CS versions of Photoshop, Auto-Tone, Auto-Contrast, and Auto-Color might fix it for you. They're normally under the "Image" Menu. You don't have to use all 3, but they work wonders on my scans.
If that doesn't work, you should be able to change the appearance of certain color by using the Hue/Saturation controls (Image>Adjustments>Hue/Saturation) if you have a CS version of Photoshop.

Hope this helps! :bounce
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Nehelenia »

I have an hp model of 2007. I tried all the setting, changing hem 1 by one but nothing worked. I even thought it was maybe the png format that didn't support this colour so i changed it with no luck.
I used hue setting too, focusing on the red colour, and minimizing the range which it would change. But still too much work for 1 picture. In the end you spend 10 hours of your life traceing and correcting :S that you give up .
I have heard many people saying that it is a common problem in the sailor moon cels and this type of colour doesn't show up due to government restrictions. I even tried matching colour setting on photoshop, taking 1 photo of the cel, and scanning it, and then telling the scanned one to take the colours fromt he photo but still crapy result.
So for the time being i gave up, and asked in anime beta for help. Especially those who own sailor moon cel and scan them, which scanners you use :D.
Thanks for the advice though, but none of it actually worked before too :(
*by the way otu of curiosity i will try tomorrow the professional scanner we have at work, and i will see if the red comes out brown too.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi!

It depends on the scanner, some scanners scan everything color perfect and some bleed out the warmer colors in Sailor Moon. My scanner at home I will update the model number later... It is also HP and scans all colors beautifully. However all my dougas and gengas come out crappy! Hard to see and really light! And on my sister's scanner the colors come out all wrong peach or brown as opposed to pink and red but the dougas and gengas come out beautifully!

To counteract the browns and peaches my sister uses Corel to photoshop the colors back to the correct hue it is not always perfect but it is an alternative to buying a different scanner...
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Nehelenia »

I tried scanning them on an "oki mc362" and on an "hp officejet J5780". Still the same provblem.
T_T. Any suggestions?
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi!

Sorry I plum forgot, I have an HP Scanjet G3010. It is just a straight up flat bled with pretty much no bells or whistles. Just in case anyone was curious, if you don't want to go with a new scanner, Corel Paintshop will edit the colors on the bow, however it is a very painstaking process and as with all things takes time and practice...

Best of Luck!
Jadeduo
:jump
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Nehelenia »

Yeah, i know . I am trying to do the same with photoshop XD. The worst thing is the line fading that changes colour as well. And since it's not all line fading 1 colour, xerography has about 4-5 different colours after the correction :D.
And in the end i tend to vector it, so it's no use scanning the cell, i could vector the printscreen, it would take less time :S, so photoshop-corel just don't worth.
TY for your scanner model, i am looking at it, but still can't find anything different from my scanners o.O so i would know the reason why the pink comes out white-brown.
Strange.
Nene
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Nene »

I know it's not much help but my old Lexmark x5150 loves bright pink, so that's the only reason I'm holding onto it because even the printer function is dead at this point. Means I can capture the bright pink/reds on my Nene cels like this one:

http://nene.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=231886

Or the various different shades of pink in this one:

http://nene.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=359346

My newer Brother scanner doesn't like pinks but it gives better clarity on other colours.

If it's any use, the Lexmark gives a yellowish tinge to cels which is why I don't like it for regular non-pink cels. Might be a link there somewhere.