How should I store this cel? (+ Questions asked by a newbie)

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

How should I store this cel? (+ Questions asked by a newbie)

Post by Ichigos »

Howdy all! I’m new here and I just purchased my first animation cel off of eBay. It is currently being shipped to me so I do not have it in my possession yet. (The cel is Jadeite from Sailor Moon in case anyone was curious) It is also coming with the sketch! :)

I have a few questions on how to properly store cels, and some questions about cels/production art in general.

1. The cel I purchased already has the fading red lines! How should I store this cel? Is there any way to prevent them from getting worse? I would frame it, but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a good quality frame. Is there an alternative option for storing it? I was thinking a folder with that see through plastic stuff (the name slipped my mind). Does anyone know where to purchase that kind of thing?

2. Question about cels and production art. The cel and sketch I bought say “A8” at the top. What does that mean?

3. I have some (I believe these are dougas) from an anime called Tokyo Mew Mew. I’m not too worried about them getting damaged as much as a cel. But what is a good way to store production art? I have 16 sketches in the envelope they were shipped in. (The seller did a fabulous job with packaging so I decided to keep them there for now) I would like to upgrade them to a folder though. Any suggestions on where to get one?

4. This applies to #1 but I am not going to be around when the cel is shipped as I will be at University. What are steps my family should take when receiving the cel? I really wish I could be here when it arrives. :|

If there is anything else I should know about cels and production art then please fill me in. Thanks!
Image Image
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: How should I store this cel? (+ Questions asked by a new

Post by sensei »

Ichigos wrote:Howdy all! I’m new here and I just purchased my first animation cel off of eBay. It is currently being shipped to me so I do not have it in my possession yet. (The cel is Jadeite from Sailor Moon in case anyone was curious) It is also coming with the sketch! :)
Congratulations! A collection begins with one properly cherished cel, and if you are patient and lucky, it will be followed by many more.
1. The cel I purchased already has the fading red lines! How should I store this cel? Is there any way to prevent them from getting worse?
From what I hear, that is typical for SM cels, and while there is no permanent remedy (it's caused by the instability of the artwork itself, called "intrinsic vice") you can keep its progress to a minimum by storing it in a dark place where there is climate control to keep changes in temperature/humidity to a minimum. You should also be sure that it is not completely enclosed (i.e., sealed in a bag without holes, clipped corners, or a slit side) so that fumes can vent to the outside.
I would frame it, but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a good quality frame. Is there an alternative option for storing it? I was thinking a folder with that see through plastic stuff (the name slipped my mind). Does anyone know where to purchase that kind of thing?
There's a lot of discussion on the wisdom of framing. I don't do it, myself, but several Betarians have successfully framed valuable cels, and they can provide some guidelines. (Short version: be sure that the framer is experienced with handling cels.) For most purposes, an Itoya Profolio is an OK option. They are stocked by major art chains like Michael's and can be bought online at many websites and on eBay. Get the 11 x 14 size which will hold standard-sized cels, plus production backgrounds and most pan cels as well.
The cel and sketch I bought say “A8” at the top. What does that mean?
That's the "registration number." A is the layer the image was on, and so your cel was the first one put on the light table. There may have been others stacked on top with (for instance) a mouth layer, another character, or something on a table. Anything that moves in the scene had to be painted on a cel. The tabs at the top went into pegs on the light table to keep the images "in registration" or in synch with the images on the other layer and not wobbling around on the screen. The 8 is the number of your cel in the "cut" or specific series of motions in which it appears. So there were at least seven other cels of that character that appeared in that cut before yours, and maybe others that came later. If the "A8" is circled on your sketch, it's a "key cel," which means that it was copied from a sketch that the animation director for that episode drew. If not, it's an "inbetweener" designed by a junior animator to make the key images blend together smoothly.
I have some (I believe these are dougas) from an anime called Tokyo Mew Mew. I’m not too worried about them getting damaged as much as a cel. But what is a good way to store production art?
You should put them in a fresh bag that is rated as archival. (Lots of places sell these, too.) I insert a piece of cardstock with them that is just a little bigger than the sketches, so they don't accidentally get bent or creased. Then slip that into your Profolio for storage. (Sketches tend to multiply like rabbits, and when you start running out of space, then we can talk archival boxes. But that's down the road.)

Dougas have the numbers in the upper right corner (usually). Gengas have the number in a circle alongside the characters. The sketch that will come with your SM cel will be a douga. Gengas are often more interesting as they were done by a senior animator under the direction of the animation director.
What are steps my family should take when receiving the cel? I really wish I could be here when it arrives. :|
Beside putting it in a safe place where the dog can't pee on it and where you can find it when you come home, I don't think there is any special attention needed. I'd say don't even open the package but put it where you can deal with it later. Then you'll want to change the cel bag and put the sketch into a separate bag for safety, and slip them into your Profolio. Some curators store sketches separately from cels, but for a small collection I'd say bagging them separately is the only precaution you need to take.

Thanks for asking and happy hunting in the future!
sensei

Post by sensei »

Oh, and ...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Welcome to Anime-Beta!
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ichigos »

From what I hear, that is typical for SM cels, and while there is no permanent remedy (it's caused by the instability of the artwork itself, called "intrinsic vice") you can keep its progress to a minimum by storing it in a dark place where there is climate control to keep changes in temperature/humidity to a minimum. You should also be sure that it is not completely enclosed (i.e., sealed in a bag without holes, clipped corners, or a slit side) so that fumes can vent to the outside.

There's a lot of discussion on the wisdom of framing. I don't do it, myself, but several Betarians have successfully framed valuable cels, and they can provide some guidelines. (Short version: be sure that the framer is experienced with handling cels.) For most purposes, an Itoya Profolio is an OK option. They are stocked by major art chains like Michael's and can be bought online at many websites and on eBay. Get the 11 x 14 size which will hold standard-sized cels, plus production backgrounds and most pan cels as well.
I bought an Itoya Profolio today at Michael's. Thanks for the suggestion! This is the perfect place to store everything for me. =^^= I have about 40 rough sketches headed my way as well, lol.

When I put the cel in the folder, should I cut some slits in it? Or is that dumb? XD Also, I might be getting more cels in the future. Is it bad to put cels beside each other in a profolio I know they aren't really stacked on each other but I just wanted to know in case it's not a good practise.
That's the "registration number." A is the layer the image was on, and so your cel was the first one put on the light table. There may have been others stacked on top with (for instance) a mouth layer, another character, or something on a table. Anything that moves in the scene had to be painted on a cel. The tabs at the top went into pegs on the light table to keep the images "in registration" or in synch with the images on the other layer and not wobbling around on the screen. The 8 is the number of your cel in the "cut" or specific series of motions in which it appears. So there were at least seven other cels of that character that appeared in that cut before yours, and maybe others that came later. If the "A8" is circled on your sketch, it's a "key cel," which means that it was copied from a sketch that the animation director for that episode drew. If not, it's an "inbetweener" designed by a junior animator to make the key images blend together smoothly.
THANK YOU! <3 I have been wondering what those letters and numbers meant for quite some time~!
You should put them in a fresh bag that is rated as archival. (Lots of places sell these, too.) I insert a piece of cardstock with them that is just a little bigger than the sketches, so they don't accidentally get bent or creased. Then slip that into your Profolio for storage. (Sketches tend to multiply like rabbits, and when you start running out of space, then we can talk archival boxes. But that's down the road.)
Is the extra bag absolutely necessary? Or is just cardstock ok?
Dougas have the numbers in the upper right corner (usually). Gengas have the number in a circle alongside the characters. The sketch that will come with your SM cel will be a douga. Gengas are often more interesting as they were done by a senior animator under the direction of the animation director.
That does sound neat. :o
Beside putting it in a safe place where the dog can't pee on it and where you can find it when you come home, I don't think there is any special attention needed. I'd say don't even open the package but put it where you can deal with it later. Then you'll want to change the cel bag and put the sketch into a separate bag for safety, and slip them into your Profolio. Some curators store sketches separately from cels, but for a small collection I'd say bagging them separately is the only precaution you need to take.

Thanks for asking and happy hunting in the future!
Thank you very much sensei. c:
Image Image
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ichigos »

sensei wrote:Oh, and ...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Welcome to Anime-Beta!
T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U~! ^^
Image Image
sensei

Post by sensei »

Ichigos wrote:When I put the cel in the folder, should I cut some slits in it? Or is that dumb?
I either leave the bag unsealed on the side facing the open side of the folder page (where you slipped it in) or else I slit the cel bag down that side. Some people say to clip a corner of the cel bag for the same reason (take the cel out first). I don't think it's necessary to slit the Profolio page, though.
Also, I might be getting more cels in the future. Is it bad to put cels beside each other in a profolio I know they aren't really stacked on each other but I just wanted to know in case it's not a good practise.
So long as you don't store the profolio flat, it's not bad. I stack mine on a shelf like books, standing upright, and that lets the cels vent to the top. Other collectors hang them on coat hangers in a closet, which is arguably a better practice. But don't put them under pressure (i.e., pile them on top of each other). Yeah, the first cel/sketch is usually followed by lots more. Be prepared.
Is the extra bag absolutely necessary? Or is just cardstock ok?
I opt for the extra bag. But often I recycle the cel bag that I just replaced by storing the douga in it. It is not as compelling as the cel, but it is an original piece of studio art, and so it deserves to be conserved as well.

Thanks again for asking. Starting with good conservation habits will save you a lot of time as your collection grows and keep it happy and in good health. (Nothing is worse than listening to neglected cels muttering and complaining when you're trying to get to sleep.)
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ichigos »

I either leave the bag unsealed on the side facing the open side of the folder page (where you slipped it in) or else I slit the cel bag down that side. Some people say to clip a corner of the cel bag for the same reason (take the cel out first). I don't think it's necessary to slit the Profolio page, though.

So long as you don't store the profolio flat, it's not bad. I stack mine on a shelf like books, standing upright, and that lets the cels vent to the top. Other collectors hang them on coat hangers in a closet, which is arguably a better practice. But don't put them under pressure (i.e., pile them on top of each other). Yeah, the first cel/sketch is usually followed by lots more. Be prepared.

I opt for the extra bag. But often I recycle the cel bag that I just replaced by storing the douga in it. It is not as compelling as the cel, but it is an original piece of studio art, and so it deserves to be conserved as well.

Thanks again for asking. Starting with good conservation habits will save you a lot of time as your collection grows and keep it happy and in good health. (Nothing is worse than listening to neglected cels muttering and complaining when you're trying to get to sleep.)
Awesome! Thank you! c:

Two more questions. Eep.

1. This time it is about cels being stuck to their backgrounds. Is it ok to store those types of cels in a profolio? Ones that have been stuck to their backgrounds?

2. Can the front of a cel get stuck to something or is it just the back?

(I lied. I have another question but it's for the websites people can display on the forums. I have noticed a lot of them are rubberslug. Does it have to be rubberslug or could I connect a weebly site?)
Image Image
sensei

Post by sensei »

I'm gearing up for a long road trip :coffee: to Providence RI to give my talk to the American Folklore Society /hmm on Princess Tutu.

Fellow Betarians? /eyes:

I'll just say that while many of us use RS, there are others who have awesome sites that are on other platforms or are self-designed.
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ichigos »

sensei wrote:I'm gearing up for a long road trip :coffee: to Providence RI to give my talk to the American Folklore Society /hmm on Princess Tutu.

Fellow Betarians? /eyes:

I'll just say that while many of us use RS, there are others who have awesome sites that are on other platforms or are self-designed.
Have fun~! :D

I just won a few more auctions. Two more cels and a few sketches. I think it's time for me to stop for a while. When I see a good deal I can't resist. ^^;

Hehe, thanks again~!
Image Image
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Nehelenia »

Can I make a newbie question?
What's better:
1. Keep the cels in closed poly bags
2. Keep them in open poly bags so they can breath?
Thank you in advance for your advice :)
sensei

Post by sensei »

All the professional advice I've read from people who deal with conserving artifacts made of or printed/painted on plastic say that they should not be kept in airtight bags or containers. The plastic is chemically active and gives off fumes that, if not vented, could damage the cels and the art painted on them. The fact that the cels so visibly damage the bags they are stored in is evidence of the problem. In time this damage can lead to vinegar syndrome, a serious and irreversible form of intrinsic vice [the tendency of some artworks to self-destruct].

I have always clipped a corner of my cel bags, but lately I've been slitting them down one side and storing them in my Itoyas with the slit side toward the open part of the page. I have also read that it is a good idea to pull the cels out every so often and let them air out thoroughly. And, of course, change the cel bags regularly (every 3 years, or whenever the back of the bag is visibly puckered, seems adequate).

Thanks for asking!
Nehelenia
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Nehelenia »

Thank you very much, that was really helpful :D
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Awesome! Thank you! c:

Two more questions. Eep.

1. This time it is about cels being stuck to their backgrounds. Is it ok to store those types of cels in a profolio? Ones that have been stuck to their backgrounds?

2. Can the front of a cel get stuck to something or is it just the back?

(I lied. I have another question but it's for the websites people can display on the forums. I have noticed a lot of them are rubberslug. Does it have to be rubberslug or could I connect a weebly site?)
I'm a little late to this question party but I noticed these two questions had not been answered yet! BTW Welcome to this crazy party!

As for the first questions it is fine to store the backgrounds with the cel if it is stuck. Be careful about cramming it into the books so it fills the whole page, make sure it has at least an inch or two on all sides in the book.

Also as far as keeping the background stuck to the cel, there are two schools of thought. Some people will scan, the piece and remove the background carefully. One of the things that Sailor Moon cels do is color bleeding in from the background I have a pretty obvious example of this on my teenage Chibiusa if you look closely in her hair and face... The Background that came with the piece when I purchased it was shellacked, hot pink and yellow, so to stop further deterioration I removed the background, but as you can see the damage is done.

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=365118

The second school of thought is to leave them stuck together, and hope that the fused cel and background are protecting each other from further damage. i.e. just leave it be...

I just can't see that as the smart thing but I have spent sometime collecting and background bleeding is not something you can fix, and it is something that has burned me in the past when the seller did not disclose this. I knew about the Chibi-usa going the one I was burned on was an Eppy 200 Princess Serenity, which I no longer have in my possession.

As far as the cel having something stuck to the front it can happen if the front of the cel has been painted on, this happens occasionally when the animators realized the painted a section of the cel the wrong color, just make sure before you put anything on top of a cel like the microchamber paper that there is no paint on the front so there is no way the paper could be stuck.

As far as other galleries places to post your newfound lovelies, Rubberslug is the easiest option for ability to keep track of, when you made the purchase, price, condition when purchased etc. As these things change over time, and as you find yourself into the long run in this hobby and you get over a certain amount of pieces it can be hard to keep track of off the top of your head.

Welcome AGAIN!

Jadeduo
:jump
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Ichigos »

It's been a while since I've visited the forums. I actually forgot what this site was called. Lol!

I've bought a few cels... and this might be a silly question but is the wax paper supposed to be on the back of them?
Image Image
sensei

Post by sensei »

I've seen this thin waxy paper from time to time, especially with "Tree of Palme" cels, so I'm guessing that some studios bought reams of it to keep cels from sticking together while waiting to be photographed. (I think most studios used the dougas for this purpose, given that many old cels now are stuck tight to one.) I don't think the paper hurts them in any way. If it is stuck and you want to get it off, you can dampen it slightly, and it will soften to the point that you can peel it off. But I have seen small paint chips (especially hair tips) flake off in the process, so if the cel is important, you might just let it be.