Itoya folder alternatives? Cel bags?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
RePete
Anime Geek

Itoya folder alternatives? Cel bags?

Post by RePete »

Here in Australia they do not sell Itoya folders anywhere. I need a folder to display my large collection of cels & sketches. Would any art folder do? Are there any things I need look out for when buying an art folder? Know any good brands that operate here?

Also, cel bags. Where can I get them in Australia? Any Australian websites sell them or do I have to buy from overseas? Any fellow Aussies advice on what they use to store their pieces?

Any help to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Itoya folder alternatives? Cel bags?

Post by cutiebunny »

Do you have Daiso in Australia? It's a Japanese "Everything's (mostly) 100 yen" shop.

(Quick Google Check - Yes, yes you do! Here you go - http://www.mydaiso.com.au/store-finder )

I buy a lot of my art preservation stuff here. They do carry cel bags, but at least in my local shop (which happens to be the largest one in the US), it's very sporadic and they don't always carry the sizes you want. The last time my local Daiso had a shipment of cel bags was over a year ago, and even then it was just the A4L and B4L sizes. Same thing with B4 and A3 folders, and B4 plastic cases. They're there one day and gone the next. Buying at Daiso is a lot cheaper for me than buying from other sites like bagsunlimited as I have to pay the shipping fee. The last B4L package I bought at Daiso included 9 bags for US$1.50. So, with Daiso, I recommend going as often as you can. I tried ordering bags through Daiso, but I never heard back from them. Not sure if that was because their US distributor could not secure a supply or if it boiled down to a communication error (the store manager spoke little English).

As for Itoya alternatives, I use the B4/A3 folders I find at Daiso. They're made of polypropylene, which is the same thing that Itoya uses for their pockets. I use these for all my original artwork items. I then bag each item separately, place a sheet of microchamber paper inside the bag with the item, and then give each item its own pocket in the folder. I usually pack 8 shikishi into one 10 pocket folder; Any more and it just becomes too bulky.
RePete
Anime Geek

Post by RePete »

cutiebunny wrote:Do you have Daiso in Australia? It's a Japanese "Everything's (mostly) 100 yen" shop.

(Quick Google Check - Yes, yes you do! Here you go - http://www.mydaiso.com.au/store-finder )

I buy a lot of my art preservation stuff here. They do carry cel bags, but at least in my local shop (which happens to be the largest one in the US), it's very sporadic and they don't always carry the sizes you want. The last time my local Daiso had a shipment of cel bags was over a year ago, and even then it was just the A4L and B4L sizes. Same thing with B4 and A3 folders, and B4 plastic cases. They're there one day and gone the next. Buying at Daiso is a lot cheaper for me than buying from other sites like bagsunlimited as I have to pay the shipping fee. The last B4L package I bought at Daiso included 9 bags for US$1.50. So, with Daiso, I recommend going as often as you can. I tried ordering bags through Daiso, but I never heard back from them. Not sure if that was because their US distributor could not secure a supply or if it boiled down to a communication error (the store manager spoke little English).

As for Itoya alternatives, I use the B4/A3 folders I find at Daiso. They're made of polypropylene, which is the same thing that Itoya uses for their pockets. I use these for all my original artwork items. I then bag each item separately, place a sheet of microchamber paper inside the bag with the item, and then give each item its own pocket in the folder. I usually pack 8 shikishi into one 10 pocket folder; Any more and it just becomes too bulky.
Awhile on now but just a bit of a follow up to what happened...

Upon research I found that Daiso did not operate within my state (unfortunately). So for the folder I simply went to Officeworks and bought an archival, acid-free art folder. Is good, does the job. Might suss out local art supply stores and see what they have a bit later though. The only thing I worry about with the folder is when you turn pages that your art can move towards the spine of the book, where the page bends the most, potentially damaging the artwork.

Cel bag wise, haven't found anywhere yet that provides them. Probably will have to buy from overseas.
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

If you have a comic book shop anywhere near you, check if they have any bags. The ones that fit best are officially called "Life Magazine" size, 11 1/8 x 15 1/8 inches. A smaller store might not carry them, but larger comic stores often do. That size will fit a standard cel with about 1/2 the bag folded down, or a cel with background/oversize cel lengthwise.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.