Cel line restoration?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Cel line restoration?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Was looking for an artist to help fix the cels with some serious line fade and found this cartoonist in Japan through a proxy. He mentioned that the cartoonist would use pen to redraw the lines, either on cel itself or on another new cel layer on top of the old one.

My question is, anyone know if pen is the right tool for cel line restoration? Is that what would be used to create the outline of a fan cel?
Fireye
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Cel line restoration?

Post by Fireye »

I looked into (and tried) some self-restoration. When your proxy mentioned a "pen", he was likely referring to something like a Rapidograph (or "Technical") pen, and India Ink. This is absolutely OK to use, and is probably the best method of line restoration. If you care terribly about the cel and preserving history, I would recommend having the line done on a separate sheet of acetate. There will be a slight reduction in contrast/clarity, but it is the best way, in my mind.

Talk to your proxy, and ask for specific descriptions of the tools/inks that the cartoonist will use.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks Fireye!

The proxy wanted me to get this what looks like to be colored ink thing for the cartoonist as well as some empty cels.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3%83 ... DGQTJZF4Q8

It seems like a lot of trouble...How is the restoration studio you've mentioned on the other thread, did you like their work? I also have some cels that are missing mouth layers that I would like the cartoonist to do, but I think it'd be better idea to send them to a known place.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

If you wanted to do it yourself, I know you can get animation supplies from the Cartoon Colour Company in Culver City, CA.
http://www.cartooncolor.com/

I've only done correction layers for a couple of my cels.
One of those cels was this Five Star Stories cel: http://chriscelsite.rubberslug.com/gall ... mID=340444
When I did them, I used Copic Multiliner SP pens (http://www.copicmarker.com/products/pens/multiliner-sp) and Melinex Archival Polyester film.
However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend these materials, as it did take a little more than a day for the line work to dry. But, I haven’t had any problems with the correction layer over the past approximately two and a half years since then.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks GuyvarIII! And beautiful Knight of Gold btw.

Will definitely consider the do it myself option, if I can't find a professional place for that piece of mind. And it'd probably save lots of money and trouble.
Fireye
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by Fireye »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:Thanks Fireye!

The proxy wanted me to get this what looks like to be colored ink thing for the cartoonist as well as some empty cels.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3%83 ... DGQTJZF4Q8

It seems like a lot of trouble...How is the restoration studio you've mentioned on the other thread, did you like their work? I also have some cels that are missing mouth layers that I would like the cartoonist to do, but I think it'd be better idea to send them to a known place.
If he specifically asked for those materials, I'd say they're probably good for the job. Google translate gives me:
Water-soluble resin paint that can be drawn to anything. You can draw on the material that is easy to play in the paint and other film celluloid, plastic, metal, leather. (From Amazon.co.jp)
Sounds like the inks are intended to be used on celluloid/acetate. If the costs aren't outrageous, I'd say give it a shot. Get the corrections (new lines) done on a separate, blank cel (acetate), and if you aren't happy with whats been done, you can easily remove it.

I've only dealt with the framing end of the place in Georgetown, so I can't vouch for their restoration capabilities. They seemed competent, but probably not in the same league as someone like S/R Labs in California.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

Fireye wrote: I've only dealt with the framing end of the place in Georgetown, so I can't vouch for their restoration capabilities. They seemed competent, but probably not in the same league as someone like S/R Labs in California.
My question is this... I remember some people here saying they have dealt with S/R Labs before and were pleased with the result. There are several cels I own that I would love to have restored. Everything from chipped paint to severe line fading, as well as some whose layers are stuck misaligned, etc. I've tried on three different occasions to contact S/R Labs via e-mail, inquiring about arranging to have cels restored, and have NEVER received a reply from them. :( How do you get in touch with them? How do you arrange for them to perform restoration services? They say you can make appointments to have them inspect your artwork, but I'm on the east coast and a special trip to CA to talk to them isn't going to happen. In all fairness, I've never tried calling them, but was kind of turned off by the lack of response to my emails.

Can anyone who has directly dealt with S/R Labs offer any thoughts on contacting them? Or even give me any kind of random ballpark idea of what they charge to know if I should even bother?

To offer the little bit of knowledge I have to the on-topic discussion.... I've made only one layer like this (for one of my husband's only two cels) and would definitely recommend it be done on a separate piece of acetate. Very serious thought should be given before doing anything that alters original artwork, especially if the person in question isn't someone who does professional restoration work. I can't comment on materials much since the acetate I used to fix my husband's cel was a stray mouth (maybe?) layer I had received with a big Yahoo Japan order which matched nothing I own. (I removed the tiny line and reused the acetate.) :)
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks again Fireye, I've always contacted the place you've mentioned, just in case.

And Drac, I've also have contacted S/R awhile back with email and haven't heard back from them since. Must be a really busy studio.