Good place to purchase quality Shikishi?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Infornography

Good place to purchase quality Shikishi?

Post by Infornography »

I'm trying to buy some shikishi boards that aren't crap. The place I used to buy
them went out of business and I'm going to be flying to Japan soon on business
where I have the opportunity to meet with a few choice mangaka so I don't want to
give them crap shikishi to draw on. What's the best place to get them with
reasonably fast shipping?
AR-99
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Good place to purchase quality Shikishi?

Post by AR-99 »

I buy mine at my local Daiso. 3 pack for $1.50, regular size or the small, medium, and regular. They have patterned ones in addition to the blank ones and used to have shikishi frames.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Good place to purchase quality Shikishi?

Post by cutiebunny »

COPIC now makes shikishi. Some people rave about them. I don't know. I like that the color isn't as bleach white as the stuff you can find at Daiso, but I'm not sure about the quality. I had a fellow collector go off about how good they are and how they're acid free...except there's no where on the shikishi that says it's acid free. All it says is that it's good for drawing on both pen and pencil.

COPIC shikishi, with shipping to the US, cost about $6/board. I buy mine off Rakuten.

I have gone away from using shikishi and instead carry around a B4 size pad. I buy acid free paper at an art store and use this when I'm at cons. Yes, I still carry shikishi as sometimes that's easiest to use, or I'm going to hand it over to a seiyuu and I don't really care so much about the preservation of that signature. But when it's going to be for a sketch, particularly something I'm commissioning, I opt for the acid free paper.