Is it possible for a cel to not have a sequence number?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Ichigos
Otaku - Fanatic

Is it possible for a cel to not have a sequence number?

Post by Ichigos »

I'm looking at a few DBZ cels and it looks like some don't have a sequence #. They look legit, red line fading and everything.

The seller lists some as being cut, but this certain one I'm looking at doesn't have anything to do with being cut in the description. (Unless the translations I am looking at are incorrect for both of them)

This one seems to be cut: http://smjsearch.com/cgi-bin/b.cgi?h189820227

Not sure about this one: http://smjsearch.com/cgi-bin/b.cgi?r114830958
Image Image
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Is it possible for a cel to not have a sequence number?

Post by JWR »

I myself would be wary that these might not be production but instead fan cels. I don't collect DBZ but I have seen a lot on YJ and none of the prime looking shots like what are shown would have an opening bid of only 3000 Yen. The fact that there are no register holes as well as no cut numbers also does not look to well The 2nd one the genga & cel seem to be the same size so the cel does not appear to have cut down . DBZ is one of the shows that a lot of fakes are made from so unless you have bought from this seller before and have received real verifiable production cels you might be wise to pass.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Caution is necessary, but, yes, Toei (the DBZ studio) was known for cutting down oversized cels to a standard size and selling them in their souvenir shop. So I do have some cels from Toei or Toei-associated productions with no sequence numbers. In this case, I'd say it's your call if the seller is a reputable one and the douga (if it comes with one) looks genuine. And, as many others have noted, it's often a good move to track down the episode in which the cel appears and look to see if the two align precisely.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I've gotten several that have the tops cut off, so there's no way of knowing the exact sequence number. In many instances, the cel in question ought to be an A1-END shot. A recent example of this would be this cel:

http://rekka.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv ... mID=375987

It's a huge, oversized cel that has the top portion cut off, so there are no sequence numbers. I've checked it with the actual episode, and although the background is not matching, the cel itself with the lens flare effect looks right.

Here is another example of a cel that ought to be A1-END but it has neither numbers nor has it been cut... which really makes me worry for its authenticity.

http://rekka.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv ... mID=362920

It fits well into the actual shot, so it should be okay, but I don't think I will ever know the truth about it. Nevertheless, it's a gorgeous item to have.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I agree 100% with Sensei and Rekka, Toei is notorious for chopping up cels and taking the sequence numbers off of them. I would suggest doing some research into the sequence,

1: Watch the sequence see if you can spot the exact cel
2: See if there is anyone on Beta or RS that have matching sequence buddies a lot of the time if one is cut the others are cut as well. A lot of curators will document on their site, if not shoot them an e-mail, reach out! ^_^

I think depending on the sequence if, they were running out of standard size cuts or what a lot of the time studios did what was most expedient at the time and you can get greatest and weirdest cut shots ever!

Jadeduo
:jump