Random Question

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Aekkavut

Random Question

Post by Aekkavut »

So this something I've always wondered. How do you pronounce douga and genga? I've never heard anyone actually say those words, I've only read them. I pronounce douga: doh-guh and genga: jen-guh (like the game).
Fireye
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: Random Question

Post by Fireye »

You have douga correct (though I tend towards doh-gah), but "genga" would be pronounced with a hard G. Think "Ken", but "Gen".

You can feed the japanese into translate.google.com to get a pronunciation approximation. Click on the speaker icon on the japanese side of the text input, and it'll read it out to you.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Agree. The root of both, "ga" means "drawing." Gen-ga (hard g's both syllables) means "foundation drawing," or "keyframe" in US animating jargon.

Dou-ga (and the "u" isn't pronounced, it's just a sign that the "o" is held an extra beat) means "moving drawing," i.e., the images that are part of the final animated sequence (or "cut")

All the vowels are pronounced more as in Latin, Italian, or Spanish than in English. So "dou" is more like "daw" than "dough" or "dew." Japanese does not have strong accents in words, so give each syllable equal stress. Gen-ga, not Gen-ga. And don't make the "ng" a single sound as in "gang." Gen-ga. Daaw-ga.

Man-ga has the same root. That means "whimsical" or "playfully exaggerated" drawing. Some sites say it means "undisciplined" or "reprehensible" drawing, but this is not supported by Chinese use of the same characters, which usually mean "caricature," a distorted image for comic or satiric effect. Again, Mahn-ga, not "Mang-guh."
Aekkavut

Post by Aekkavut »

Wow thanks for the info!