Bagging, bagging...

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Bagging, bagging...

Post by kathpatty »

Changing out all my cel bags over the Holiday- a bit of airing out. Also. changed the look of my Gallery

Each year more and more bags it seems... ( such a happy past time but puts me in the mood to buy)

Any one else doing any collecting chores? Reorganizing, buying, rebagging...?
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Bagging, bagging...

Post by sensei »

I'm about to do a "gallery crawl," i.e., look at everything I own, set aside books for rebagging and watch for (touch wood) trouble.

Also a time to get my inventory up to speed. I've tried to do this as new items came in during 2014 but there are lots of 2013 items that never got indexed. I like to be able to put my hands on anything I've got (cel, douga, genga, layout, etc.) within a short amount of time, and indexing is central to that.
moonrabitt
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by moonrabitt »

oh the piles of bags I have...
what I have to do is update...I keep saying I will, three years later I'm sure this is my year! :p
Some say that life is like a box of chocolates, I say life is like a box of cake.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

OMG Moonrabbitt! Update for sure!! *sends encouragement and snuggles*

I have been working on doing my own indexing this year too! I was crawling through my episode 67 book and i'm like OMG where are my pinch sketches! AAAAHHH apparently they were at my sisters house getting the scanning treatment, my scanner is pants at sketches! So I am looking at doing that today.

Also going to finish my CCS Plastic update there is one more piece still to scan but then I should be fully caught up and then I will post to Beta! I am obviously doing my forum crawl right now! ^_^ I did not realize I was so far behind!

Then after all that is done I will continue with the great 2014/2015 rebagging project which once done I should be good until 2017 or 2018, I rebag every 2-3 years.

Also continuing to work on the Gallery it is in a constant state of work in progress... A Curator's work is NEVER Done!

JD
:multi
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

What bags do you guys use? I've read some on the whole polypropylene vs mylar thing, and it seems like mylar has more cons than the poly, bags, but then again it seems like I've heard a lot of people use mylar. What about brand too, does that matter? The only one I know of really is BCW.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I use mylar for paper only. Never use mylar for cels because it will stick to the bag. Instead, I recommend polypropylene. You can also use polyethylene bags for cels as well, but I prefer PP as it's clearer than PE. Right now, I'm only using mylar for my original artwork items as I have yet to get around to replacing background bags. The cels and their backgronds are bagged in PP and PE. Mylar is more expensive than PP or PE, but you don't need to switch it out as it truly is acid free.

When it comes to paper items, I also bag them with a sheet of microchamber paper. I buy my bags through bagsunlimited.com and have been happy with the quality. Their claim on their website is that they oversee their production facilities and are able to control its quality. My only gripe is that, as I live west of the Mississippi, I have to pay quite a bit for shipping.

I still would like to find an acceptable way of storing my shikishi, though. Right now, I have them each individually bagged in mylar and then put into a polypropylene folder.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I also use Polypropylene, for my cels, and a 1/2 sheet of microchamber paper. Which I switch out every 2-3 years, which is very time consuming but definitely worth it. I cannot tell you how many cels I have purchased over the years where the cel paint has wrinkled because someone kept in it a bag for years and it molded to the wrinkles (caused by the fumes from the cel) in the plastic :P As for the brand, in the current great rebagging of 2015, I purchased 500 Treasury Comics polypropylene bags from Amazon for $68 and free shipping, and it can change as long as the bags are thick enough and large enough I will use those. Last cel count uploaded to RS was over 300, any deal I can get on bags I will, as this is quite the undertaking never mind the pieces not posted yet. :P I have also used bagsunlimited and it is pretty good however figuring out which bags to buy from there can be an issue, I believe the last time I got bags from them I got the Time Magazine sized bags and the Large Sheet Music bags both in the PP, I don't remember the thickness.

I also have been using Polypropylene and microchamber paper for sketches, however I just recently started buying sketches and received some in Mylar, let me say I was impressed and going forward I will be using it for paper pieces. Mylar is definitely better for sketches the material is thick and does not slide as much as the Polypropylene. And is great when you have a sketch that has some slight wrinkling because over time in a stack of sketches they will flatten out.

As for storage I use the Itoya Binders, because I am stickler for organization. When I want to pull I cel, I want to be able to lay my hand on one book and flip to it easily, not dig through every book I own. I used to use the portfolios they are cheaper, but I had to move all my cels or a good chunk of them every time I got a new one, and this became unfeasible as my collection got larger. With the binders it is much easier to add a new cel just buy extra pages and pop it in place. It is much easier to start with the Itoya binders and continue as you mean to go on. As for keeping pressure off my cels, I have a large walk in closet and I hang the books with a blanket hanger. This puts little to no pressure on the cels no matter how many you can fit in a book, which I find the max to be about 30 pieces, when it gets much larger than that I get a new book.

I hope this helps!
Jadeduo
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

Ok good, I had gotten some polypropylene bags to rebag cels with, so I'll make sure to stick to those. I've never heard of the microchamber paper before, so I'm reading about it now.
Jadeduo-so you actually put the microchamber paper inside the bag with the cel? And the cel doesn't stick to the paper?
And I have to say that blanket hanger idea is brilliant! I need to get some of those hangers and do that. All my Itoya portfolios are standing upright, but I don't really like where they're at right now, just because of how cluttered it's becoming in here. Forget about just rebagging cels lol, I have an entire anime collection room that desperately needs some straightening and cleaning up...it will happen one day soon. Hopefully.
sensei

Post by sensei »

I haven't had the microchamber paper stick to the cel, but to be sure, I put it on the front rather than in back. That, of course, makes it hard to appreciate the cel by simply flipping through the Itoya, but then too it makes you take the bag out, check the cel for health, and, if necessary, rebag.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

LOL I was just getting around to responding to this... Ditto to what Sensei said ^_^

JD