Why is my cel a different colour to that on screen?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Noriko010884
Eiyuu - Hero

Why is my cel a different colour to that on screen?

Post by Noriko010884 »

I have a cel of Amano Jyaku from Urotsukidoji.

The cel appears to be from the second chapter, Curse of the Overfiend. The scene is that where a majin is running through a subway and is basically annihilated by Amano, after which there is a close up shot of our favourite Jujin.

Now my cel is in shades of blue, but that's not the colour of Amano in the footage. I trust it it a genuine cel as the image is spot on aside from the colour and it was purchased from Mandarake's Nakano Store. So, what's going on?

I was thinking that perhaps a coloured transparent sheet was placed over the cel (like you would a light in theatre) to demonstrate some kind of emotion, but I don't know anything about that aspect of production.

Does anyone know why it would be a different colour?
Last edited by Noriko010884 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Re: Why is my cel a different colour to that on screen?

Post by Jadeduo »

I am not familiar with the series, you should post a screenshot if you can.

I can tell you I have a cel that is differently colored than what is on the screen from Sailor Moon although in this case, the cel itself without the transparent piece of plastic I put on top the cel itself is actually black and white.

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=363589

They will usually achieve an effect like this by putting a red or different colored filter on the camera, so the cel was painted black and white so they could use the cool effect of the red frozen flashes that happen during the emergency that is happening in that moment. It's also a way to control the lighting on the cel as well.

http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=381968

Another thing that happens is sometimes when the blue is photographed with some kind of alternate lighting it changes color. As seen here with my CCS Movie Sakura cel, if is backlit so the color on the cel looks a little more purply than the actual cel... I hope this helps!

JD
:bounce
Noriko010884
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Noriko010884 »

Uploaded!

And thank you for your reply.

Amano is a single layer cel and in colour, so he's not like your Sailor Moon cel, however he is like Sakura. And that's the word that totally eluded me, a filter! Thank you!

I was thinking that one may have been used as the shot seamlessly changes colour but it changes from an emotive tone to Amano's actual tones, which left me stumped??

Your cels are beautiful btw! Sakura is so kawaii!!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

No Problem Noriko! And thanks so much, I love her too! ^_^

JD
:bounce
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

It's not uncommon for cels to be painted a different color than you see on the screen. I think the colors are tweeked in the process of filming or with effects in post production. For example, I have a cel that is mostly colored purple...but the actual color on the screen is more pinkish-red. I believe this is because the pink-ish color is an effect to make the character appear as though she's glowing, that's why the base color (purple) needed to be a different color or darker to get the right effect in the end.

Do you think that's accurate with the scene your cel is from? Is there some sort of effect going on in the scene?
Noriko010884
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Noriko010884 »

Video on YouTube - Amano is at 46 minutes and 38 seconds - his face is lit by flames so it's a red tint we see. (This is the butchered release where the OVAs were cut into two feature length films, and it's in French, so apologies for those who actually wanted to watch it. :/)

So Rekka, it sounds about right. Your purple cel = pinkish-red, my blue cel = reddish. It's certainly amazing what effects can be created and now I'm curious as to how such techniques are developed/thought out. I suppose it's trial and error really. They probably stumbled across it.

I miss traditional non-CG animation! :l

Thank you Rekka for your experience and input. (^_^)