What does this caption card say?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

What does this caption card say?

Post by sensei »

This is a caption card that I got as part of a grab-bag lot of Tenshi ni Narumon sketch materials. These are used from time to time to punctuate the zany conversations among the "family" of eccentrics at the center of this series.

The katakana on the right is easy: it's ノエル "No-e-ru" or Noelle, the female protagonist's name (the one who has the halo and is trying to become an angel). The middle character is also easy: の "no" the Japanese possessive.

The kanji on the left are the devil. Also, is it read right to left: "Noelle's [something]", or left to right: "[Something]'s Noelle"? I assume the first option, as the question mark is underneath the [something].

For animation oddity freaks, the caption was done on rice paper with a very broad brush, then taped to a standard piece of genga stock. The rice paper hangs over each side of the genga sheet by about an inch.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: What does this caption card say?

Post by cutiebunny »

It's not that bad, sensei. Both characters pop up often.

The first character, 運, is luck. The second character, 命, is life. Taken together, it's "fate".

The translation is "Noelle's fate is...?"

(That was fun! I really enjoy this stuff...gives me a chance to brush up on kanji.)
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

The kanji is read as "unmei" aka "fate". :^^:
sensei

Post by sensei »

OK, so "What will Noelle's fate be?" The caption card is labeled "#27" which could mean it's for Step 26 (TnN gengas past Step 5 are labeled +1 because of the mysterious missing episode). In which case, the caption is quite apropos as this is the series finale that settles her angelic status once and for all. Oddly (I'll go back and check one last time) the caption doesn't seem actually to be used in that episode. Thanks for the help, CB and Rekka!