Scanning Large Cels

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
berzey81
Otaku - Fanatic

Scanning Large Cels

Post by berzey81 »

Hello,

I have recently been going through the exhausting task of scanning all my cels and sketches and adding them to my rubberslug gallery. I am now getting down to the last few cels i have to scan but they are extremely large and won't fit on my scanner. A couple are 13 x 16. I also have some shikisi I want to add but even scanning in sections and photoshopping them together isn't working to well. I thought about just taking pictures but keep getting a glare off the cels. I was hoping that someone may have a suggestion as to the best way to go about handling this.

Thanks.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Scanning Large Cels

Post by cutiebunny »

Short of going the expensive route and buying an A3 size scanner, I pay a friend to do it for me who is much better at photoshop than I. At $5/scan, it can add up if you have a lot of items that need to be edited, but to me, it's worth it.

I've seen a few other people take photos with their phone and then add those to their gallery, especially with odd sized items like shikishi.
berzey81
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by berzey81 »

Thanks for the advice. I currently have an A3 scanner but it was kind of a pain scanning in sections. I will give it another try though.
I'm thinking you're right on the shikishi and my best option will be taking picture of them.

Thanks for your help
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I recall someone on the board mentioned a method to me that takes a bit work but gets the job done. I think it was sensei. You could just used the paint program on windows.

This is how I do it now:

1.scan items in preferably no more than 2 scans.
2. use irfanview or any program that can resize the image. Do that, and crop out the extra portion that doesn't match either scan.
3. Open paint, one window for default new window thats all blank. Two more(or however many parts) with partial scans. select and cut/paste partial 1 into blank page, then 2 and so on to merge the image in that empty default window, adjust however you like and save.
4. Afterward I use irfanview's auto crop option to get rid of any excessive blank space left on the 4 sides of the merged image.

This is the work way to do it, gets the job done. I believe zerospace mentioned that you can simply use photoshop CS4 for its File---automate---photomerge option.
nowherekid85
Kamisama - God

Post by nowherekid85 »

theultimatebrucelee wrote: This is the work way to do it, gets the job done. I believe zerospace mentioned that you can simply use photoshop CS4 for its File---automate---photomerge option.
That's what I do and it's really easy. My scanner is old and a little small so every cel I scan is done as two images and I have PS combine them for me. It only messes up on occasion, when I scan a sketch that has a large section of the page blank.
berzey81
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by berzey81 »

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to follow your advice and hopefully get the last of me cels up. I have a couple oversized movie cels of Luffy from one piece that I'd love top add to my gallery asap.