What does everyone use to bag oversize&color illustrations?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

What does everyone use to bag oversize&color illustrations?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Trying to get some bags for the oversize items again(something around 16x12In) and also bags for some watercolor/copic illustration. I'm not sure if POLYPROPYLENE is the one that can do both cel and sketches, and other illustrations. What does everyone here use, and where do you get them?

Thanks!
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: What does everyone use to bag oversize&color illustratio

Post by cutiebunny »

With paper items, I used mylar (polyester) as it's acid free and you'll never need to swap it out. Polyethylene leaves a slight residue to paper items over time. Mylar is more expensive, but makes up for the difference by lasting permanently. I purchase my bags at bagsunlimited.com (thanks Sensei for originally providing this source). Going by the Bagsunlimited list, it looks like your best would probably be to buy the 11x17 bags, cut the bags on one side and then layer two bags on top of each other to protect the item. The next largest size is 28x41, which would require you cutting the bag down to the size you need. FYI, the 28x41 price is $87.90 for 10 bags versus $30.70 for 25 11x17 bags.

But to answer your question, you can use both Polyester and Polypropylene bags for cel and paper items. For paper items, like backgrounds, where I'm not as concerned with their overall preservation, I prefer the PE bags. You can fold them to fit the contour of your item.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks cutiebunny!

I noticed that the Mylar bags are a dollar per sheet at 50. I also found 16 by 20 POLYPROPYLENE at $30/50 bags. How long does the Mylar last(as in does it really last forever or at least 5+years)? I wouldn't mind going mylar and never ever have to change bags again lol

Edit: so it really looks likes Mylar is a synonym of perpetual. But I guess it still would need to be changed on the cels since there is still the fume build up and that's why I haven't seen people posting about Mylar much before. Ends up getting some of both, probably going to start switching out the POLYPROPYLENE with Mylar next bagging session for those sketches in the folders. This is why I like it when sketch sets come with their cut bags, I'd hate to have to spend even $1 on every single set of sketch, and here I thought those microchimber paper was pushing the conservation cost.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

No, never use mylar for cels. The paint will stick. That's why I specified in my previous post that I use mylar with paper items.

With cels, you can use both polyethylene or polypropylene. I prefer PP personally because I like that the bags are clear and not opaque as they are with PE, but either/or for cels.

I've only been using mylar for about a year now so I can't speak for the longevity. I know that museums prefer to package paper goods in mylar, so that should say something. Most of the sketch collectors I've spoken to do not seem terribly interested in preservation. I've seen people with very large collections 1) buy the cheapest boards possible (which makes no sense to me if you're going to pay $$$ for a commission) and 2) store these boards either in the plastic bag that originally held the shikishi or just whatever plastic they have laying around. I also had a guy at Animazement tell both myself and a friend that cel bags never need to be changed, only to smell a strong vinegary scent when he opened up the bag of a Kikyo cel he's owned for 10+ years. So, yes, the fact that you care enough to ask about proper storage is a step in the right direction.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

eh, guess I learned nothing about conservation after all these years of collecting lol better remember those dollar bags are for sketches only and not mix them up.

I went on some comic forum and saw some collectors having remorse over not getting Mylar "all those years" ago, and now they're having trouble dealing with the old polypropylene, but its too late because their collection has gotten to insane size after decades, so they must be pretty good for paper conservation. Probably will try them out on those watercolor/copic drawings for a few years first. Better yet, perhaps send some mylar to sensei as get well present and have him document the changes over the years :)
cutiebunny wrote: only to smell a strong vinegary scent when he opened up the bag of a Kikyo cel he's owned for 10+ years.
that sounds like kikyo alright, bitter as heck.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I haven't felt the need to chime in, cause Cutiebunny has covered this pretty well! She is right on all fronts, and that guy on top of telling us that bags don't have to changed, he also told us that the only cels he's ever had problems with, were cels that started out bad in the beginning, and I'm thinking... huh?

Lee that is interesting what you saw on the comic forum, that the PP even starts to degrade over time with paper pieces. I will have to start switching out the paper to mylar, a portion of my paper is in mylar but not all of it! This is good to know, it also affirms my belief that a rebag needs to be done every few years with cels!

Thanks All for the insight!

JD