This cel smells like my Grandma's house...?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

This cel smells like my Grandma's house...?

Post by noildoof »

Hey guys.

This cel here: http://migrator.rubberslug.com/gallery/ ... mID=380962 had a weird musty smell when opened its bag to check on it today.

It's nothing at all like vinegar or a photocopier, and the cel doesn't have any visible damage, but it just smells like my Grandma's house: That is, like old musty wood. The bag (I don't remember what it's made of but I think it was from a pack Cutiebunny sent me, so I'm positive it's safe material) was oddly stuck to itself at the slit side without the use of any sort of adhesive. The cel itself wasn't stuck to the bag, and the stuck edge wasn't even touching the cel at all since the bag is larger than the cel. When I opened it for sniffing I got a whiff of that curious smell. It wasn't overpowering or even bad, it was just something I've never, ever come across before.

The only thing I can think of is that I bagged it in a very old building I used to live in (circa 1905) and probably had slightly sweaty hands when I bagged it (the building STILL had no air conditioning when I lived there, over 100 years after it was built). Maybe I got the edge of the bag slightly sweaty and it stuck together, trapping musty air from the building in there even after I moved away?

Any thoughts?
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: This cel smells like my Grandma's house...?

Post by Angelic-Lair »

It might just be trapped smell, especially since the bag was inadvertently sealed. We have had cels come from our deputy smelling heavily of cigarette smoke. It goes away when we let those cels air out for a week or so. You might have something similar going on. :)
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Agreed... Just let it air out and put it in a new bag should be fine! :vict

JD
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Could be mildew. I occasionally get cels and especially paper products that have been stored in a damp, warm place for too long. I'd air it and then sandwich it in microchamber paper for a month or so (watch that the paint doesn't start to stick to the paper). That should cure its "housey-tosis" as an old commercial used to put it.
kathpatty
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by kathpatty »

Poor Grandma..... :l
A Man Who Views The World The Same At Fifty As He Did At Twenty Has Wasted Thirty Years Of His Life. - Muhammad Ali
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by backlotanimation »

If you only knew what some painters used to thin their paints you'd most likely never touch your cels without gloves and a mask. hahahaha I've seen soda,dish water,spit,urine,tea and every kind of solvent known to man and a few just made up things used. The smell could be most anything, even the paints stink. I heard a painter say once they saved their little kids piss to put with yellows and reds to make them glossier. 8O don't know if it worked but some swear by what they use. remember a huge amount of painting was done at the painter homes and not at studios overseas, they got more done that way and just dropped them off the next day. as long as you don't smell vinegar as other said and you'll know if you do before even opening the bag your ok. just air it out and rebag it.

Roy aka Backlotanimation
"And that is why you fail!"
Yoda