Is there any way to smooth out the creases on sketch items?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Is there any way to smooth out the creases on sketch items?

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

Just wondering. I' have a handful of oversize sketches that are around 20in or more on the long side that came to me heavily creased. I've since put them into itoya folder with other items and stored it flat, but its been a while and the weight of the folder itself didn't seem to have any effect on flattening the creases at all...does anyone have a cure for this?

Thanks!
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Is there any way to smooth out the creases on sketch ite

Post by sensei »

A simple way is to message the back side of the crease gently with something hard. I bought a bone bender from a library supply source for the purpose (it's made of bone, it doesn't actually bend people's bones). That is what librarians use to treat creased pages of books. It's not a fix, as the crease is still visible but it does bring the sheet back to flat.

A more permanent way is to put the sketch in an environment of high humidity or run a humidifier over it (e.g., the steam function of an iron). Then press the sketch between two blotters until dry. But I admit that I have never done this. Here's a very technical archival source on this process with lots of caveats and warnings: http://www.srmarchivists.org/resources/ ... documents/
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

This is great Sensei!

I have never had a problem getting a sketch flat, it just takes some time, because I live in high humidity already but this is great advice and I am going to totally bookmark this page!

JD
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

sensei wrote:A simple way is to message the back side of the crease gently with something hard. I bought a bone bender from a library supply source for the purpose (it's made of bone, it doesn't actually bend people's bones). That is what librarians use to treat creased pages of books. It's not a fix, as the crease is still visible but it does bring the sheet back to flat.

A more permanent way is to put the sketch in an environment of high humidity or run a humidifier over it (e.g., the steam function of an iron). Then press the sketch between two blotters until dry. But I admit that I have never done this. Here's a very technical archival source on this process with lots of caveats and warnings: http://www.srmarchivists.org/resources/ ... documents/
That's interesting, sensei -- I usually would just put the creased item in between some heavy books and leave it for awhile if its really badly creased. I live in a very LOW humidity environment (something more like a desert), but things do still flatten out even without the extra moisture in the air. These days I'm lazy and I just put the sketches into my cel books and once the creased sketch has been in there for awhile, it starts to flatten out even though my books are stored standing on end (the crease is still visible, of course). :)
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks sensei! Was googling this Bone Bender, but nothing that fit the description showed up. Maybe you're actually gotten yourself a collector's item :) I can see the method of placing paper into two sealed containers somewhat doable, but I'd need to get a couple of seriously large containers...was watching a youtube video on this and amongst a series of repetitive steps, one is to put the paper into the bathroom and run the shower for 10 minutes...which is simple enough.

For now, I might just stack a bunch of books on top of those sketches for a while, my goal is to get those sketches to be scan-able.
sensei

Post by sensei »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:Thanks sensei! Was googling this Bone Bender, but nothing that fit the description showed up.
Sorry: my mind (like that of a centuries old Anglo-Saxon poetic bard) works by alliteration. It's a bone folder. I see lots of them are made of Teflon now, but it's still called a bone folder even though it doesn't do a good job of folding human bones.

Mine is made of bone and it's good at making nice tight creases when I fold bags around odd-sized cels and sketches.

http://explore.lib.virginia.edu/exhibit ... equip/bone
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Ah ok, I saw a youtube video that recommended Teflon bone folder for being comfortable, but couldn't find a video demonstration on how it would fix creases. Guess it must be self explanatory. The main function itself is useful enough for folding cel bag though so got one for experimental purpose :D
sensei

Post by sensei »

Turn the sheet the opposite side from the way the paper was folded. (That is, if it was folded up and over the side with the sketch, then flip it over to the back side. And vice versa if it was folded back and over the reverse side of the sketch.) Take the pointy end of the bone folder and massage the crease line gently. I rub up and down the crease first, then from side to side. That will get the bent paper fibers to relax and let the sheet flatten out.

The humidity treatment will actually cause the fibers of the paper to expand and shift slightly when it is pressed, and will result in a more permanent fix, so far as I can tell from the literature. But for short-range treatment, especially of dog-eared corners, the bone folder is really useful.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Thanks sensei!

Not sure if I described the creases as severe as I should have, but the middle fold is not something I worry about as much. Would the folder by chance work on something that looks like its been recycled from the trashcan?
teggacat
Senpai - Elder

Post by teggacat »

great thread guys! just ordered up one of these nifty tools myself :wink:
sensei

Post by sensei »

theultimatebrucelee wrote: Would the folder by chance work on something that looks like its been recycled from the trashcan?
Not sure: if there are fold/crumple lines on the rear of the sheet (rear = direction from which it's tending to bend), you can work on those. But it sounds as if you need to put it in the bathroom the next time you take a long, hot shower (not where it will get wet directly from the shower, but where it can soak up some hot steam), then immediately press it between two absorbent sheets of paper (like watercolor paper, which I buy on sale and use as backing boards). That seems like a reasonable facsimile of the archival process in the website that I found.

Bone folders are handy. They are great for slitting bags down one side, as when you are changing cel bags and want to maximize ventilation.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

That sounds like a plan. Will give the bathroom method a go some time and see how that goes.