Rice Paper on Cels

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
under9000
Otaku - Fanatic

Rice Paper on Cels

Post by under9000 »

Hey all,

Quick question, I've seen some cels that say they are stuck to rice paper, is this done by the studio?
Why is it done?
whats the pros and cons?

I see it mostly as a negative thing as you'll never be able to match it to an original cel or even just see the cel as it is, standalone
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Rice Paper on Cels

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Rice paper is used by the studio to protect a cel. You'll see it a lot on hanken cels. Unfortunately, it often sticks, but it can be removed (mostly) if you're careful, so it isn't usually damaging to the cel.

If you're lucky, it lifts away easily. :)
under9000
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by under9000 »

ah ok thanks! I've seen a few cels with it...not sure if it was putting me off or not, I'd probably leave it on, wouldnt wana risk any damage and I kind of like that cels end up in so many different coniditions, they are what they are
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Second! It gets stuck a lot and it's a better alternative of being stuck to it's matching sketch. This is super upsetting as well.

Just be really careful removing the rice paper, on Toei cels in particular it can sometimes pull away part of the lines.

You can try the distilled water, Q-tip, papertowel method, I've never tried it but I've heard of people having success with it.

Dampen the rice paper where it is stuck, carefully pull it away, then dry the paint immediately with a paper towel. Rinse and repeat, do small sections at time. This takes a lot of time, which I never have patience for and just usually tear the excess off then use the photograph method to old photo, photoside down to the cel and use it to separate them till it no longer shows when you scan....

I know lazy... But I get so excited when it is time to scan a new piece! /eyes:
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I would use caution in removing the rice paper. It is, as Angelic-Lair says, used to protect the paint, which otherwise would tend to stick to any other cel or surface on which it's placed for a long time. With regular production cels, the studio typically separated them with the dougas, which worked in the short run, but after they went under the camera, the stacks of cels and dougas sat for who knows how long before they were released for sale. Which is why so many cels come up for sale stuck to their sketches. Rice paper was inexpensive and served the same purpose.

Both can be removed with care, and since the rice paper typically has no value of its own, it is tempting to dampen it thoroughly and then peel it off. (JD's post gives good directions.) The paper will deteriorate in the process, leaving a thin layer of paper over the paint, which is not harmful to the cel. But the danger is that if it has already loosened the trace lines or the thin layer of paint on hair tips or other sharp points in the image, you may damage the cel in doing so. I've opted not to touch the rice paper with at least one very rare and valuable cel that I own that happens to have lot of these sharp points, any one of which could peel off if I tried to free the cel.

If you do try, work gently and slowly, depending on how valuable or precious the cel is, and stop at any sign of damage. For a valuable hanken, you might want to consult a professional conservator like S&H Labs (expensive, but maybe worth it if the cel is a high-end one). Good luck!
jcaliff
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by jcaliff »

I've found rice paper to be one of the easiest things to remove from a cel, even if it's very stuck. I usually just dampen a wash cloth, and use it on the back of the rice paper, and once it's wet enough it usually lifts right off. Then I gently pat dry with a lint-free microfiber cloth or equivalent. So far I haven't had a problem with the water on the paint, though I'd be careful with special effects airbrushing or anything fragile like that.
Image Image
Hector the Collector loved these things with all his soul,
Loved them more than shining diamonds, loved them more than glistenin' gold.
Hector called to all the people,"Come and share my treasure trunk!"
And all the silly sightless people came and looked...and called it junk.