A question about settei, more detailed description needed.

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
LWK
Anime Geek

A question about settei, more detailed description needed.

Post by LWK »

I have a settei cel of Tony from the fatal fury ova, and got two more of Mai in the payment tally. All three are cels, but I read that the settei's were copied and given to staff. My question is: Are these settei's made as cels themselves just one time, or maybe the whole staff got cels? Here are my examples of these cels. I am just curious how many were made? Over a decade back they listed on anime game, and they were sold out so fast I only got ahold of one. Getting ahold of two more this many years later is a really cool thing.
TonySettei.JPG
TonySettei.JPG (152.23 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
faf1.jpg
faf1.jpg (140.83 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
faf2.jpg
faf2.jpg (133.96 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
My Fatal Fury Gallery: www.lwk.rubberslug.com

My email for selling me Fatal Fury cels: lwkusa@hotmail.com
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: A question about settei, more detailed description neede

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

Those are really interesting! I would have thought something like that would be called a "model cel"/"color model cel" but I've never seen one with other notations on them like that. It's not something I know a lot about. I'll be also interested to hear what others have to say about it.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Yep those are definitely Model Cels, my theory on the writing is instead of sketching a brand new full length character for the Model they just photocopied the Settei to Acetate and painted it. This makes the most sense to me, if you could find a settei set from that OVA you could match up the writing to prove me right. You might even find it if you just do a google image search to confirm i.e. match up the writing.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

A lot of these were done as tests, to show the other animators how the character would look like painted, in various outfits, in low light situations, etc. Several years ago, a large batch of these model cels from Tenchi Muyo were sold in several lots on Mandarake. I won one of them, but there was one particular sheet of the two space cops, Kiyone & Mihoshi, that were repeated in various sets. The only difference between the one I own and the others is that the girls were painted different, showing how they would look under various lighting set-ups.

In most cases, it's likely that a couple of each model cel sheet made, and not one per animator. As your animators were drawing the genga and douga, they didn't need to be concerned about how the characters would look painted. That would be more of a concern for the person labeling the douga with coloring directions and for those that painted the cels. But even then, the painting was sometimes outsourced to different countries, like South Korea, so I'm not sure how likely a reverse import on those materials would be. If anything, it was probably cheaper for a foreign studio to have them destroyed post-production, so I would imagine that was what likely happened.
LWK
Anime Geek

Post by LWK »

They are really unique items, thanks for the help guys. I guess I should change the term from settei to model sheet.

LWK
Anime Geek

Post by LWK »

Old anime game pictures I dug out of their web space. Notice the notation above mai's hair? It is missing on mine. Can anyone translate those model cels?
fatfury16.jpg
fatfury16.jpg (14.89 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
I can't get a larger picture. That is a different model!