Substitute exhibition?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
bricks
Anime Geek

Substitute exhibition?

Post by bricks »

I was looking on yahoo japan and i saw this cel.

http://zenmarket.jp/auction.aspx?itemCode=s469651891

and at the bottom for the description this person put this: It becomes substitute exhibition. Please be state in the image judge.

I know it was auto translated but what exactly does substitute exhibition mean? is it a replica or a fan made cell of an original?

Thanks guys
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Re: Substitute exhibition?

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Ehhhhh, I don't want to be the only one to weigh in but to me it sounds like more of a case of someone posting something on someone else's behalf and maybe they don't know the provenance of the item etc. The word 代理 can mean things like agency so that's the feeling I got but I'd love to hear other people's opinions.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Post by JWR »

Well looking at the translated pages of this sellers feedback they do not sell any anime cels, phone and many other items
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Toei does do "exhibition cels" (if you do a search on the forums I'm sure you'll find the discussion about Toei's Sailor Moon cels) so it's really hard to know for sure if it is real but I've only ever seen Sailor Moon cels directly labeled this way. I'd say regardless of what that the meaning of substitute is in this context, just check a screen shot very carefully (if you can locate the scene) and decide if you have enough confidence to bid. I don't think the "exhibition" cels were ever direct matches with what appeared in the show but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

They weren't matched up directly, however, they matched up with sketches from the sequence so mostly the exhibition cels were studio produced but not used in production. We have not yet figured out what their purpose was whether it was test cel or made for something else like an exhibition or something like that.

If you go to the Sailor Moon Stars section of my gallery I have a Baby Saturn Exhibition Cel as well as the matching production sketches you can see that the cel shows as much as what is on the sketches. Which if it was a fan produced piece you would only see what was in the screenshot not the extra stuff.

Just my two cents ^_^
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I don't believe this is an "exhibition" cel as has been the case for many other series, cels that are actually used in special exhibition halls.

Someone had asked this question on Yahoo, so this sheds some more light on the meaning:
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa ... 1063932030
「代理出品です。」は「出品者はこの商品を保証しません。」
This basically rewords the term "dairi shuppin" as being an item that he cannot guarantee. It basically means that he doesn't know much about the item and it could be that the item is not even with in reach to check ("dairi" is often used for people who are doing something for someone else).
「代理出品です。(だから、記載ミス・記載不備があっても許してね。)」
Here he paraphrases some more, saying that whoever labels something as "dairi shuppin" it basically means that there may be some mistakes or inaccuracies in the item description...and if so, sorry.
「代理出品です」は「私はこの出品物に関して、詳しくわかりません」
Lastly, the person who asked the question wrapped by coming to the conclusion that "dairi shuppin" means that the seller doesn't have much knowledge about the item.

Hope this helps! :)
bricks
Anime Geek

Post by bricks »

Awesome thanks guys for the info! i appreciate it!
MajinTangerine
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by MajinTangerine »

Great looking cel from Broly Second Coming, if I remember correctly.
KuroiTsubasa4
Kamisama - God

Post by KuroiTsubasa4 »

Thanks Rekka :D I figured that was the case and with what those two pan shots went for today I'd sure hope they were real XD I wonder if anyone on here got them, they are awesome! I always defer to the screen shot method because if you can get a screen shot lined up with the item pic in photoshop on two separate layers and flicker between them, it's pretty easy to spot irregularities. If it helps, I checked out that seller's Krillin family cel and it passed the test with flying colors :) It's hard to duplicate hair highlights and other fine details so it's a pretty good method. I also like to see production numbers and those seem to be visible in at least some of the pics. The dougas are a definite good sign as well. Jadeduo also pointed out to me that these have the Toei stickers which should add additional authenticity (not sure if those are ever faked...). Good luck bidding!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

I have never seen a Toei sticker faked, and you would want to fake those bags they are absolutely disgusting. :P :P :P :P :P :P

More recently I have been seeing a lot of DBZ Cels in their original Toei bag and seriously just yucka I HATE those bags it's like the first thing I do get the cel out of it and cut out the sticker pop it in the new cel bag by itself. They are usually dirty and/or sticky.... SOOO GROSS!
bricks
Anime Geek

Post by bricks »

MajinTangerine wrote:Great looking cel from Broly Second Coming, if I remember correctly.

I won that Broly cel! im super happy about it. I'll need to update my gallery when it gets here :D