Freezer method of removing sketches

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
bricks
Anime Geek

Freezer method of removing sketches

Post by bricks »

Hey All, i have seen around here people mentioning this freezer method to remove sketches. I have 3 or so sketches that are stuck to their matching cels and i was hoping you guys could explain how exactly to remove them. I may have to not try at all though, some of them are really stuck :( i saw that some people use floss and slowly saw it to remove the sketch but how long do you leave it in the freezer? does it cause damage to the cel if left to long?

Thanks!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Re: Freezer method of removing sketches

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I tried the freezer method once. It didn't work. Sensei can tell you how to remove them using Eucalyptus oil (I think?) He is our resident expert at restoration.
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

The freezer method worked for me, but I had to do it multiple times for the same cel. I'd put it in for a couple hours inside a gallon size Ziploc bag (these were standard sized cels), take it out, remove a couple parts of the sketch, and then have to put it back in for another round. I was pretty nervous about doing it as I was worried the cel and/or the paint would crack. I've had similar results with the 'place the cel by an open window during a cold night' thing, which is sort of similar.

Either way, I would not recommend doing any of this if what you have is a very expensive and/or important item. If that's the case, I'd recommend paying the necessary funds to get it professionally removed.

I seem to recall that eucalyptus oil was only good for getting the tape residue off paper items and was not to be used around cels due to the oil dissolving trace lines. I've never used it in conjunction with cels.
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

If you don't care about destroying the sketch, you can always just dribble water onto something with soft surface like tissue paper to make it just a bit wet, and apply its surface to the stuck area of sketch, gently massage it over and over and get it to be a bit moist. And increase the moistness as needed, when sketch gets softened enough it becomes removable without pulling off paint. I did that with a few cels and worked pretty well. Just be careful about not making the cel wet with water, and it takes some patience and time.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Eucalyptus oil is good for separating celotape from sketches, but does nothing to separate cels from them. (I've tried it.) It's worth remembering that any method, cold or wet, is likely to damage either the cel or the sketch, or, even with due care, both. So I'd advise a primum non nocere (above all, do no harm) approach, especially if the stuck cel is something special or expensive. However, cels stuck to painted backgrounds probably should be separated, as bg paint tends to bleed into cel paint, causing permanent damage.

There are some Beta threads, though, that discuss this matter in some detail, which I'll get over to the new forum when I have some time.
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by kamidake »

I've used the freezer method many times, sometimes it worked great, other times, not so great. Really depends on the paint and how stuck the sketch is. (For some reason, red-ish paint gets more stuck than other colors) I put the cel on a piece of cardboard and put it in the freezer flat, for about a minute or 2 at first, take it out and try to peel off the sketch as far as it'll go. Then repeat. I find that trying to peel from different directions works best. But again, there are some sketches that just won't budge. Then you'll have to make the executive decision of whether to just keep them both together, forever. Or destroy the sketch.

Good luck!
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
bricks
Anime Geek

Post by bricks »

Oh wow thanks for all the replies. ill definitely look around for professionals in the area.
bricks
Anime Geek

Post by bricks »

theultimatebrucelee wrote:If you don't care about destroying the sketch, you can always just dribble water onto something with soft surface like tissue paper to make it just a bit wet, and apply its surface to the stuck area of sketch, gently massage it over and over and get it to be a bit moist. And increase the moistness as needed, when sketch gets softened enough it becomes removable without pulling off paint. I did that with a few cels and worked pretty well. Just be careful about not making the cel wet with water, and it takes some patience and time.
I have used water once before to remove a sketch. I was sorta trying to save it but once i saw what it did to the corner i decided the cel was more important then the sketch. It was my cheapest cel so i was prepared for it.
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by backlotanimation »

*Moved from another post to add info here on this post*

8O ***OMG DON"T*** do what is said in these posts you will destroy your production drawings. The easiest and best way to remove stuck drawings is to lay your cel face down on a clean white T-shirt turned inside out(it's softer) next to a open window at night only. the moist air is enough to release the bonded weave of the paper from the paint. Each morning lightly tug up at the edges some will come loose each day. put a pencil between the paper and cel to hold open to the next nights air and after as little as a day or up to a week the drawing WILL come free and no harm will come to your drawings, take your time and don't rush if it takes longer than a week. This comes from a Disney archivist who showed me a great many years ago how to do it. Some use of a mister box has been used in the past but you have to have a super fine mist for this to work and it can cost alot to make one that will not soak your drawings. Use the night air, it works the best. if you have a covered screened porch all the better to lay them out under on a table. But never leave the artwork in the heat of the day or if it's going to rain, just put it out at night time with no chance of rain. I have done this to 2000 dollar cels very safely. good luck. Roy Aka Backlotanimation

Sorry other posters,I mean no insult only to educate from my past tests. If it's just tiny bits of paper from a bad removal of a drawing(sad indeed), it's best to just leave it and place a backing page to cover the back. I hate to see folks lose their production drawings as this is the real art not the cel. never just pull them off dry. remember the drawing was touched by the hand of the animator, the cel may not have been even looked at by the one who drew it. Even hand inked cels for the most part are done by inbetweeners not the animators they use the animators drawing to do the inking.

*added* never freeze your cels. think about it what happens to roads and side walks that freeze in winter? they crack. the paint can and will do this on your cels too, not always but enough not to do it. never run floss between them or you run the risk of pealing paint off the cel, better to have a unregistered or miss alined cel than damaging them.
"And that is why you fail!"
Yoda