Found some archival storage boxes made of MicroChamber material.

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Found some archival storage boxes made of MicroChamber material.

Post by earl »

I know cels shouldn't be stored stacked. However, I've been thinking of storing my ink and pencil animation art in archival storage boxes (after bagging and boarding them). I happened to find some that are (fairly) reasonably priced boxes that are made of (or at least include) MicroChamber material:

http://lodima.org/archival-materials/archival-boxes/

Similar boxes are actually more expensive on BagsUnlimited without the added benefit of MicroChamber material. I thought others here might be interested.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Found some archival storage boxes made of MicroChamber material.

Post by cutiebunny »

I know of some sketch collectors that store their shikishi in boxes. It's a legitimate way to store them.

That being said, I'm somewhat concerned about the boxes being made of cardboard, albeit acid free. I don't think they'd be very durable, and as they're made of paper, prone to insects.

If I were to use these, I'd probably want to put the acid free paper box inside a plastic box. Even so, I'd still recommend individually bagging your sketches inside Mylar bags and then throwing in some microchamber paper.
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

cutiebunny wrote:I know of some sketch collectors that store their shikishi in boxes. It's a legitimate way to store them.

That being said, I'm somewhat concerned about the boxes being made of cardboard, albeit acid free. I don't think they'd be very durable, and as they're made of paper, prone to insects.
Most art/document archival storage boxes are made of some sort of cardboard. I'm (personally) not very concerned about insects. I've never had a case where bugs have eaten into paper items anywhere I've lived. (Plus, mylar bags are excellent at defending against insects.)
cutiebunny wrote:If I were to use these, I'd probably want to put the acid free paper box inside a plastic box. Even so, I'd still recommend individually bagging your sketches inside Mylar bags and then throwing in some microchamber paper.
That was always the plan. :) Mylar bags + MC paper + acid free backing boards. I don't see these boxes as a replacement for MC paper, more as an additional layer of protection.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
bricks
Anime Geek

Post by bricks »

i know after a while that some paper will turn yellow over time, will micro chamber paper stop that? otherwise whats the point of putting micro chamber in with sketches?
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by earl »

bricks wrote:i know after a while that some paper will turn yellow over time, will micro chamber paper stop that? otherwise whats the point of putting micro chamber in with sketches?
Yes. MicroChamber paper protects paper in the same way it protects cels, by absorbing the pollutants that cause damage over time. Comic collectors often place sheets in with their comics, book collectors and museums often use it as interleaving paper. The Smithsonian also recommends using it to preserve newspaper.