Question about cels and mylar.

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Question about cels and mylar.

Post by earl »

Hello all. I'm fairly new to collecting and I have a quick question about cels and mylar. I've read a number of different statements that say cels will (or at least can) stick to mylar sleeves and that they are not recommended for cel storage because of this. However, I haven't found any first-hand reports or seen pictures of this happening, so I'm wondering... does anyone here has first-hand experience with this? Have you actually seen it happen?

Additionally, I've read articles about the different types of mylar that are out there and how only Type-D mylar should be used for archival purposes. Other types have additives that can cause negative chemical reactions. I'm wondering if perhaps these reports stem from the use of the wrong type of mylar.

Obviously I want to protect my collection and don't want to put cels in sleeves that might damage them, but mylar is so much better than poly in so many ways (other than price)... I'd hoped I could use them for cels as well as sketches.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Re: Question about cels and mylar.

Post by cutiebunny »

Probably the reason you haven't found any pictures of cels sticking is because most people use PP & PE bags for their cels due their price and because most people don't have an extra cel lying around for experimental use. But, hey, don't let me stop you from being the first on the board to experiment with it. It might be a fun experiment.

I think most people buy their mylar bags from stores that specialize in archival grade paper, so I don't know if that's really a concern for most people. I'm sure there are some people that pick up rando bags and put their artwork in those; I've not only see it on various Youtube clips over the years, but I've received sketches and cels in questionable bags.

I think it's important to come to the realization that, at least with cels, they are not going to be around forever. You can routinely replace bags, microchamber paper, etc., but cels are still chemically reactive and will eventually deteriorate. The same can be said about paper sketches; A lot of artwork is drawn on acidic paper, meaning that with the type of markers often employed, the paper will eventually deteriorate. And until museums begin to feel that animation artwork is just as culturally important as impressionist painters, there will be very little reason for them to spend the funds to conserve it.