To unframe or not to unframe... that is the question.

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

To unframe or not to unframe... that is the question.

Post by earl »

Let me first say that I do not frame my art and have no intention of starting in the future. However, some art that I purchase comes already framed. Now, there are certain cases where I immediately unframe the art (when it was framed by Hobby Lobby or something similar). However, I have acquired two pieces (from Batman TAS) that were originally framed by Warner Bros. and were hung in the WB animation art gallery. They come with certificates of authenticity and their ID numbers are also written on the back of the frame. They also have the original price stickers on the back with the WB logo, etc.

In the case of these two items, I'm very torn about removing them from the frames. On the one hand, they will never be hung up, it is likely that tape (probably archival tape... but still tape) was used when putting the art in the frame, and UV glass/plexi was not used. On the other hand, having them in the original frames from the WB gallery gives some additional provenance and it is obviously not a cheap frame job (one is two items in a double frame). I never intend on selling them, but I imagine the art would be more valuable in the frames... and you never know... life changes can happen.

Any thoughts?
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Re: To unframe or not to unframe... that is the question.

Post by ToriPagac »

the batas pieces alone they are way easier to sell framed to the non hardcore collector
ToriPagac
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by ToriPagac »

i frogot to metion the framed harley quinn on my wall is just fine just keep it in dim light my bedroom does not much sunlight and it and my prof ramed spider-man piece are just finr
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

I'll start with a disclaimer that I know almost nothing about WB artwork, framed or not. However, I would lean towards keeping them in the frames if they were both framed by the studio (or an art shop the studio specifically uses) AND have identifying information on the frame (or frame backing) itself. I think in that situation, removing them from the frames could devalue them in the eyes of future buyers. Keeping them in the frames would amount to keeping a certificate of authenticity with them, in a way. The more information you keep with something like that, the better.

Since WB is so big, if you wanted more information about the framing materials, I bet they could and would tell you. If they couldn't tell you themselves, certainly they could get you in contact with the framing gallery they used. (Though you might need to be able to tell them where and when the piece was bought.) It can't hurt to ask them! ^_^