Can flaking paint be stopped?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
earl
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Can flaking paint be stopped?

Post by earl »

Just received a new cel setup in the mail and one of the cel layers has a small amount of "bubbling" between the paint and the cel itself. So far there is only a tiny amount of paint loss, but I wanted to see if there's any way to stop any more from happening. My first thought would be some sort adhesive made to go over paint, but I'm afraid of what kind of chemical reactions could occur as the result of using something like that. Here is a picture of the setup with the bubbling sections circled:

Any advice would be very appreciated. Perhaps there is nothing I can do beyond store it properly... but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.
Come join us in the Animation Art Collectors slack chat!: http://cels-chat.herokuapp.com/
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Can flaking paint be stopped?

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Assuming it's paint detaching from the acetate and not moisture trapped between layers, I would think the best option would be careful storage. You would need to get under the paint somehow in order to use an adhesive or possibly heat it up to have it re-adhere. I would go with careful storage to prevent further damage.