Damaged / Curling Cels

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Trudy
Otaku - Fanatic

Damaged / Curling Cels

Post by Trudy »

I found a really nice pan cel up for auction from a series I collect religiously that had a really good start price. The only problem?

The previous owned didn't appear to store the cel properly, and there's a huge curve right in the center of the pan cel that just fills me with great sadness looking at it.

Is there any fixing / restoring cels that have been damaged in this way? I know some people mentioned receiving cels in poster tubes -- do any of you have any advice for how to treat such cels?

What's the max you'd pay for a cel damaged in this way?
Actively Collecting:
Escaflowne, Gokinjo Monogatari, Infinite Ryvius, Record of Lodoss War, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Looking for select cels from:
CardCaptor Sakura, Daria, Fushigi Yuugi, Gall Force, Gokinjo Monogatari, Gunsmith Cats, Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl, Kaito St. Tail, Magic Knight Rayearth, Oniisama E, Please Save My Earth, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Looking for production artwork from:
Ashita no Nadja, Full Metal Panic!, Juuni Kokki, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, NANA, Princess Tutu
Angelic-Lair
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Damaged / Curling Cels

Post by Angelic-Lair »

Pan cels can curve sometimes. As long as the cel isn't bent/creased, we don't usually consider it "damaged" unless the curving is really severe and the obvious result of poor handling/shipping. If it was a piece that I liked, I would probably just bid normally, especially if it's a nice scene, as pan cels normally don't have a lot of (or any) sequence mates. :D
Trudy
Otaku - Fanatic

Re: Damaged / Curling Cels

Post by Trudy »

This is the cel in question:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b218721677

I'd consider the damage fairly significant -- at first glance, i thought it was two cels because the curvature was so extreme. Anyone have any thoughts on this cel in particular? I know there's another collector in the community bidding on it (it's a rinkya username), so apologies in advance if we end up getting into a competition for it. (It actually would pair nicely with another pan cel I have in my collection from that same scene (http://trudy.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv ... mID=369829).
Actively Collecting:
Escaflowne, Gokinjo Monogatari, Infinite Ryvius, Record of Lodoss War, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Looking for select cels from:
CardCaptor Sakura, Daria, Fushigi Yuugi, Gall Force, Gokinjo Monogatari, Gunsmith Cats, Jubei-chan the Ninja Girl, Kaito St. Tail, Magic Knight Rayearth, Oniisama E, Please Save My Earth, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Looking for production artwork from:
Ashita no Nadja, Full Metal Panic!, Juuni Kokki, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, NANA, Princess Tutu