Framing Genga

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Framing Genga

Post by Pixel »

I've been thinking about how I would display a genga. I realize there are some potential hazards to display, but I would want to put it where I can see it. I'm not sure of the exact size, but from what I've read I think they're often roughly about 9"x12". I would expect Japanese studios to use a metric size that works out to not quite 9"x12", maybe 22cm x 30cm? My understanding is that genga are easier and less volatile to handle in this way than plastic cels.

I was thinking about a nice, white, mass-produced shadow box about 2" deep. It would be a bigger that the genga, don't know how much. Maybe I could get some UV filter glass or acrylic to put it it. I'm not really sure how to properly hang the genga in the shadow box though. I'd thought about trying to place fixtures in the backing to line up with the registration holes, but that might damage it. The backing of the shadow box might have acid in it, too.

Another option would be a fairly simple frame, oversized with a custom acid free mat from a frame store, and probably an anti-UV lens. Not very fancy, but would get the job done. I would want some minimum of protection anyway. Only thing is, the drawing would probably make direct contact with the lens.

I wouldn't want a shadow box for every piece of production art, of course. Just the ones I like best. Right now, I'm not counting on having any particular number of them, even one at this point, but I'm thinking all the same.
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Framing Genga

Post by JWR »

one trick for both cels and sketches is to "double up" on your mat so you can put the artwork in between the mats hence "floating" away from the glass or uv protected plastic as well as keeping the art away from the background in the case of cels.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
JWR

Post by JWR »

Sorry went to quote and hit the wrong button and your post went poof X|

You asked if what I was talking about was taking a mat with a cut out and putting that over your sketch on top of a uncut mat behind the sketch. That should be fine for what you are looking to do with a genga. What I am talking about is more for cels but I use it for other artwork as well and that is using 2 mats with the cutout so the cel/artwork only touches the edges on the mats and is held in place by the "sandwich" of the mats. I then put the cel background behind the bottom mat so the paint of the cel does not come in contact nor does the lines or any special effects on the front of the cel touch the glass.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Oh ok, I get it. That sounds like a good idea for genga too, with adjustment for the fact that they don't layer like cells do..

Would acid-free matting be best? Do I need concern myself with lignon free?
JWR

Post by JWR »

Acid free mats are always a good idea to use, Do make sure to get a good quality uv plastic and still look to keep it out of direct sunlight or lighting being too close cause heat will damage paper over time.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Here's what I was thinking. I'm looking at an 11"x14" shadow box, either white or black, with acid-free foam core backing and UV protective acrylic. I was told that black would compliment the pencil drawing better, but I kind of wanted white so I might could dress it up a bit. I'm not really sure exactly how to place the drawing in it however. I was thinking of getting 11"x14" acid-free matting, and having the opening cut to 9x12. I planned on placing the drawing, an acid-free backerboard, and a peice of microchamber paper inside an 11"x14" archival art bag, then matting the front outside the bag. I don't know if it would all sit in the frame.

I'm not sure the final size of the drawing though, as I am looking at repairing it with filmoplast P tape. I don't expect it to be much larger than 9x12.

It also occurred to me that if I got another drawing I preferred to display, I could carefully swap them out.

Does the shadow box plan sound like it would work okay? I know quality framing is a bit expensive, but I probably wouldn't display more than a piece or two, if I had a number of them.
JWR

Post by JWR »

That does sound like it would work fine.

Do remember it is your artwork so it is best to display it in any way that will bring you the most enjoyment. Everyone else opinion should be secondary. :D