Mold on a cel/bg.

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Mold on a cel/bg.

Post by Pixel »

I was looking at a cel, it has dark spots either on it or on the background to which it has been attached. I think it may have a mold problem. If it is on the cel, is there any way to get it off without finishing off the cel or the paint? If it's on the background, is that unrecoverable?
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Mold on a cel/bg.

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

Another question I would love to hear input on. I have one cel in my collection which seems to have this problem. I'll try to link a closeup image below. The dark spots are not a fault of the scan, they are on the cel. Or rather, IN the cel, since they seem to have formed between the acetate and the paint somehow. (They are not visible from the back of the cel.)

I've been watching it like a hawk and it has seemed to be stable (visibly unchanging) for the whole time I've owned the cel. (My records show I've had it at least since August 2002.) But I would rather know more about conditions like this.

Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I have not checked this site thoroughly, but here's one possible consideration-
Take a minute or two to examine your art every three or four months. Black, brown or rust-colored spots, webs, or silky material are probably signs of fungal, bacterial or insect insult, and are cause for professional care. Look for changes in surface texture, color and clarity. Pay close attention to the ink and paint on cels, and the tonal quality of drawings. Periodic photos are of little help. Your own informed eye is the best judge of the condition of your art.
From the following page-

http://www.courvoisiergalleries.com/gal ... n-art.html

I'm not saying you're cel has this problem, I'm just offering a possibility.
Drac of the Sharp Smiles
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Drac of the Sharp Smiles »

Oh, I've seen that site. It's definitely mold without question, though I'm not sure why it's been dormant for so long. I've just never been sure what to do about it.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

Drac of the Sharp Smiles wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:53 pm Oh, I've seen that site. It's definitely mold without question, though I'm not sure why it's been dormant for so long. I've just never been sure what to do about it.
I'm not sure either. I'm actually concerned if anything can be done. The cel I'm looking at seems to have mold issues too. I'd like to eventually get it and try to fix it, but it may not be fixable.