Should I unfold/try to "fix" these dougas?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Should I unfold/try to "fix" these dougas?

Post by Pixel »

I've got a pair of douga here, part of a small set. Can they be called a set? They seem to be from different episodes. I've only posted these two, partly because I haven't found where the others go in the series yet.

Normally, I'd do a full write-up in the Website/Gallery forum, but I've summarized them here because I need to know- Should I try to unfold and flatten them out as best I can, particularly the Ep. 3 Miki at the top? I know it probably won't ever be perfect again, but I would like to try and "fix" them what I can if that is better for them.

I was wondering if the studio might have done this on purpose, like when they cut layouts clean across and tape them for realignment?

**SPOILER ALERT**

I typically wouldn't bother with this, but I never know who might be reading my posts. If for some reason you can't stand shoujo anime spoliers, be advised there's at least one in this post, if not more. I can't guarantee I'll always think to place these alerts, however.

Douga Set, Item #1
Marmalade Boy
Episode 3 - "Two Kisses - Yuu Had A Girlfriend?"
Runtime Location (approx.) - 00:12:53:10
Single Character: Miki Koishikawa

Douga

Cutting to the chase, Miki's wonder at the novelty of a house of mirrors soon turns to confusion, then later panic as she struggles to find her way out. She begins running through the halls. During one of these running sequences, she either stumbles or ducks her head. What you see here is a douga for an in-between of that head-forward motion. I'm guessing that explains the "goofy" look of the drawing.

It is folded over backward all the way across the top. Miki's hairbow is more complete in on the upper folded section.

Yuu was supposed to go into the funhouse with her, but is suddenly accosted by his forlorn ex-girlfriend, Arimi. The two of them yak it up while Miki is in the funhouse.

Final Production Shot

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Douga Set, Item #2
Marmalade Boy
Episode 49 - "The Shape of Love/It's Difficult to be Happy"
Runtime Location (approx.) - 00:06:38:29
Single Character: Meiko Akizuki

Douga

At long last, Meiko has finally gotten together (well, back together - it's shoujo, of course) with the love of her life, Mr. Namura her former teacher. In this scene, Meiko and Miki are having tea together at a cafe. Is it tea or coffee? I'm not really sure. Regardless, Miki has went on and on about how busy Meiko's life will be in the years to come. Between segments of basically telling Miki she has enough to deal with the way things are now, Meiko lifts her teacup readying for a drink. That is what I have on the douga below.

I really don't have too much to say about this one. Meiko is pretty and all (though she looks rather strange here unfinished an not in full color), but the moment itself is rather ordinary, really.

Final Production Shot

Still a little strange, but much better with the color, IMO. She's in an expression shift, and those tend to look odd frame-by-frame anyway.

Anyway, if you haven't seen them in my RS gallery, I do go a bit more in-depth there.

Marmalade Boy Ep. 3 - "I Gotta Get Outta Here"
Marmalade Boy Ep. 49 - "Won't Meiko Be Busy?"
FourD

Re: Should I unfold/try to "fix" these dougas?

Post by FourD »

I usually straighten out sketch creases before bagging the sketches and storing them in an Itoya. I didn't use to care all that much, but it's a habit I picked up over the years. Why not straighten it out, I'd ask? The only time I would consider keeping a piece folded would be if it was too large for my storage. I try to avoid that.

After a couple years in books, the creases tend to stay straightened-out. The creases don't disappear, but the sheet is more flat and wants to stay that way..
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Should I unfold/try to "fix" these dougas?

Post by sensei »

Somehow missed this thread (end of Spring Semester doubtless explains that...)

A bone folder might be a good thing to invest in. They are not expensive ($5-$6) and very handy things to have around. Using the point of one on the crease helps flatten it out and relax the paper fibers that want it to fold back the way it was. I use these a lot to straighten out dog-ears on corners of sketches. Also makes a tight crease in a cel bag when you want one.

They might do a good job on folding bones,too, but I haven't had a good murder victim to fit into a small suitcase recently so I can't say for sure.