help framing cel,can I print a background and frame with it?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Lizzie

help framing cel,can I print a background and frame with it?

Post by Lizzie »

Hi everyone^^

I need advise, I want to frame my cel with a background, it comes without the background ; I would like to know if I can just print a background from internet and frame it safely with the cel.
(with UVA glass and letting some space between the cel and background so they don't get stuck).

can I use any paper? print from internet a background I like ? is there any specefic type of paper oil free required?
*(I won't use tape for the corners of the cel).

or if there is already a topic open please share me the url :)

thank you very much :D
Last edited by Lizzie on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: help framing cel with background

Post by sensei »

Dear Lizzie,

A useful thread from a couple of years ago is this one. I am not personally a framer, but I'd say the key issue is to allow ventilation around the cel and not allow it to become stuck to whatever background you choose. The thread referenced discusses ways to do this. Also restrict exposure to light as much as you can. Many curators hang curtains on their framed cels or keep them in rooms with no windows that can be kept dark when you are not using them. Light is a catalyst that encourages chemical processes in the cel that lead to deterioration. (And much more damage occurs when the cel is exposed to light randomly while it is not being viewed than during the brief moments when you or others are looking at it and appreciating it.)

That said, there are many Beta members who have framed and enjoyed their cels for many years.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Other threads referencing framing issues:

How do you frame multi-layer cels?
Displaying/Framing Cels and Timesheets
Help help help! Framing Woes!
Wooden frames are ok ... right?
Best place to get a cel framed?
Are UV rays protection the anime Loch-Ness monster ?... (short answer: yep.)
Framer recommendations?
Bagging a cel in a frame
Do you keep your cels in a binder or frame it?
A question for anyone who;s framed a cel
Before and After . . . . . Conservation Framing.
Floating a Framed Cel

This is only a partial list as the search engine for this forum is not very functional and apparently only searches back a few years. I did a run through the "Technical Cel Q&A" looking for relevant thread titles. Some other threads might have posts on the framing issue, and I did not include those that specifically asked about framing paper art (gengas, dougas, etc.)
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

thank you very much!!! ^-^

I will get starting studying all these post <3 and will think about the curtains!