Two "Identical" Magic Knight Rayearth Cels

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Two "Identical" Magic Knight Rayearth Cels

Post by sensei »

With Rubberslug down for a while due to Jason's housemoving, I though this would be a good place to talk about an intriguing issue that arose recently in my collecting, similar to some I've discussed before dealing with the possibility of forgeries, now that anime cels seem to be on the uptick in selling/buying prices.

It's standard wisdom that when two (apparently) identical cels appear, only one can be an authentic piece of production art, the one that did go under the camera to make the scene in which it appears. The other might be a rejected image, a test cel, or -- increasingly -- a forgery.

One of my prized possessions is a set of roughs and shuuseis that work out one of the most dramatic moments when Hikaru, the central character in Magic Knight Rayearth, casts her most powerful magic attack, "Fire Arrow." (I famously bid on this using both SMJ and Rinkya to kaflummox a determined bunch of Japanside bidders.) Sadly, this set lacked the rough for the A1 start keyframe, but did preserve a post-genga partial shuusei.

No matter: a few years later I was able to obtain another prize, the matching A1 cel from this sequence:

[I apologize for the differing color qualities in a number of these scans. My scanner tends to make Hikaru's hair pinker than it actually is. The two largest scans have been tweaked to make them as close to the color qualities in actual cel as possible.]

But ... recently a YHJ seller advertised what appeared to be the identical A1 cel for sale:

That's got to be a fake, I thought. Look at that bold, too-big sequence number, which was similar to others I either considered or determined to be fakes. And yet ... a number of things about it gave me pause. What if it were the original and the one I'd bought before was the fake? That one compared well to the screen capture I had ... but could I be really sure?

Well, the cel went around several times, and the seller eventually marked it down from its original premium price. When that got to a level I felt I could afford, I plunked down a bid, feeling that the sale price was worth it to resolve the question. And the cel arrived earlier this week.

Oh, yeah, was my first thought. Look at those trace lines -- way too sharp for a 20-year-old cel and all those highly reactive reds, pinks, and flesh tones. I looked very closely at them, however, and even though they looked new, they also didn't look cheap like my imfamous Yue/Touya fake. Then I got the cel out of its bag and found a surprise waiting. There were two tape strips at the top of the cel (odd -- why on a single-layer A1 cel?) and I found they held ...

... a clear cover sheet that contained nothing more that a set of trace lines reenforcing the ones on the cel. This was not stuck, and under it was ...

...a nice A1 cel with 20-year-old faded trace lines: good-looking for its age, but about the same level of line fading as the "identical" cel I already owned. If it was a fake, then, it looked to have been done a long time ago. (Or aged by exposure to strong light? If so, why the reinforcing layer?)

OK, now the job was to flicker scans of the cels carefully. As expected, they were very nearly but not quite entirely identical:

Most obviously, several of the hair strands are longer in the "new" A1 cel, and the shoulder pad on Hikaru's arm is different. I compared the "old" A1 cel to the screen cap and found it was the same in both ways. OK, case closed? Well ...

I'd been concerned for some time that my A1 shuusei sketch was in fact different from my "old" A1 cel in a couple of ways. Flickering these makes this clear:

Notice particularly that the bottom eyelashes stick out farther in the sketch than they do in the cel. The “old” A1 cel matches the screen cap but the sketch matches the “new” A1 cel.

(Less dramatically, I found that the shadow lines in Hikaru's enormous eyes also were the same in the sketch and the "new" A1 and different in the "old" A1.)

A final puzzle concerned the sequence numbers on the top right corner of the cels. As noted before, my "old" A1 wrote these in the typically smallish and self-effacing style of most authentic MKR cels:

But note the cut number -- "178" -- to the left of the sequence number. That made sense for episode 37 (the source of my screen cap), where this moment fits into the second half of the episode, after the eyecatch (which usually falls around Cut 140-150). By contrast, the cut number for the "new" A1 doesn't fit:

Cut 43 would normally come close to the start of an episode. Might there be two cuts in which this magic attack takes place? In any case, it made me pull out the rest of these "Fire Arrow" sketches, to see if by chance a cut number appeared on one of them. And indeed, at the start of the sequence devoted to how Hikaru's fireball appears, then grows . . .

So . . . I'm not sure what to think now. It looks as if my "old" A1 is a genuine enough piece of production art, reliably linked to the scene in Ep. 37. But now it looks as if the sketch and the "new" A1 are also genuine, but linked to a Cut 43 somewhere else. My only hint is that my Ep. 49 cel of Umi/Selece casting Water Dragon also has a larger-than-usual set of sequence numbers, including an indication that it comes from a Cut 42. Coincidence? This cut number likewise makes no sense in Ep. 49, where it takes place in the final conflict after the eyecatch). And yet that "Cut 42" Selece cel flickers perfectly with the screen cap.

One possibility: it's not a cut number at all, but a bank number. The studio might have prepared discrete banks for each of the characters' important magical attacks and other repeated actions such as henshins. Umi's "Water Dragon" might have been #42 of these, and Hikaru's "Fire Arrow" was #43. And these banks would have theoretically been available to use in a Sailor Moon fashion into any scene in which they were used. And so the cels would have a "bank number" that actually had no relevance to the cut count into which they were inserted. The "Water Dragon" attack was perfect for the Ep. 49 scene, so it was used (and presumably elsewhere too). But for some reason the Ep. 37 animation director felt Hikaru's "Fire Arrow" needed a tweak, so a new A1 cel was ordered for this scene.

Or . . . I really don't know what else to think.

In any case, it looks as if I do have two "identical" A1 "Fire Arrow" cels, both of which appear to be authentic.
sensei

Re: Two "Identical" Magic Knight Rayearth Cels

Post by sensei »

Thanks to all who have visited this discussion and commented on it (mostly on Facebook). Some interesting ideas have been broached to explain this situation. Briefly, the issue is this:

The "old" A1 cel matches the screen cap for Ep. 37, at a place in the episode that would make sense to be Cut 178, where the notes on the top of the cel say it should appear. So it is a genuine MKR cel that verifiably went under the camera.

The "new" A1 cel is slightly (but not dramatically) different from the "old" one. It is identical to the shuusei genga that I got in a sketch set working out the details of her "Fire Arrow" attack. Both are numbered "43," but that doesn't match the place in which this attack appears in Ep. 37.

So while my "new" cel does seem verifiable as a genuine studio product, it's not yet clear for what purpose it was made.

The pads for Hikaru's shoulder and upper arm armor appear to be different from the "old" A1 (which reflects her final-stage battle costume). It would makes sense then, that it would have been used at a moment when Hikaru's armor has not fully evolved, perhaps in Season 1.

However, in Ep. 37 she is not wearing her final-stage battle costume (no helmet, no sword belt, no breastplate).

There was a cel-based videogame that was made for MKR, and both sketches and cels from this version have appeared on the market. Might this have been made to animate a common magic attack that would be used in this game?

However, if that were so, I'd expect the sketches to use the "scene + cut" scheme for numbering the sequence, e.g., "12-43."

It's also possible that the sketches reflect the process by which a cel was designed for use in Ep. 37, but at a late stage these cels were rejected and new ones designed and ordered. This verifiably happened in CCS, Ep. 42, when The Light Card reveals herself to Sakura: I own the genga that shows the color scheme that was originally intended. Later all of these cels were pulled off the production line and new ones ordered with a different coloring scheme to make the scene. And later both sets, the rejected ones and the "authentic" ones, came on the market together.

However, that doesn't explain the odd "43" numbering of the MKR sketches and "new" cel.

So ... is a mystery. I'm still happy to own both cels, regardless of the complicated way in which they relate to each other.
sensei

Post by sensei »

More on the "Fire Arrow" mystery. First, as noted, when this cut is used in Ep. 37, Hikaru begins it with an shoulder and upper-arm shield on her left (our right) side. That's one thing that's tinkered with in the "new" A1 cel. (The sketch, being a partial, is unclear on this point.) But both cels clearly show that the armor is there.

Ah, but in the cut immediately before this magic attack, Hikaru is wearing her normal schoolgirl clothes, with no armor:

An instant later, and she launches "Fire Arrow." In most of the frames, a special effect makes it impossible to see her left arm clearly. But this frame is pretty clear that the armor is there:

OK, so she casts her magic and when the effects settle down, there she is, as before, with no armor:

There's another exchange between her and Nova, and then she summons Rayearth. Her left shoulder starts to glow, along with her chest and both lower arms. (This is a long shot that I've cropped to show the shoulder part in detail.)

And when this settles down, there's her shoulder shield, with a separate plate for her upper arm (and the breastplate and sword-users' gloves on both hands).

So the issue of the body armor turns out to be non-relevant to the situation in which it's used; in fact, it's a bit of a continuity error, as Hikaru casts Fire Arrow in a version of her battle armor that she doesn't actually have at that moment in the confrontation.

Also, I let the episode run a little past this moment, and lo, there's Umi/Selece casting Water Dragon -- and the exact same cel is used there as the one in Ep. 49. So it seems clear that these attack banks were meant to be used more than once, and so there was no easy way to include or exclude changes in battle costume to customize them. We could say that the Ep. 37 "Fire Arrow" was customized for this use -- but why then the obvious continuity error? It seems more likely that the attack was animated independent of the situation in which it would be used, and regardless of any apparent error that occurred.

But that still doesn't explain why the studio ordered two nearly identical A1 cels for this sequence.

:bwall
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

I don't have any experience with this series, nor do I have full access to facebook.

I don't know if this thought has been floated before, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

Maybe someone at the studio misplaced the original A1 long enough that the it was decided a new one would have to be made, perhaps with the thinking "Oh well, if we're gonna have to redo it anyway, might as well tweak the new one a bit." The old one turns back up after the new one is completed, leaving it for someone to pick from the two for the finished sequence.

I guess that might be a rather silly theory, but it bound to have happened that cels would from time to time be either misplaced or destroyed while they were still needed. I would expect a missing A1 would be a "must fix quickly" situation.
GuyvarIII
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by GuyvarIII »

I have not watched Magic Knights Rayearth. I've always thought the mech designs looked cool, but I never watched the show.

Anyway, I went to YouTube, found episode 37, and took the following screen-cap:

Underneath the cap, your old cel is on the left, and your new cel on the right. YouTube has messed up the aspect ratio, but her left arm matches your old cel, and does not match your new cel. As such, I would guess your old cel matches this moment in episode 37, and your new cel and genga sequence match something else.
sensei

Post by sensei »

Yes, I've previously "flickered" both my "old A1" and the A7 from the same sequence (corresponding to the A2 keyframe) that I got at about the same time.

Image Image
As you observe, the projection of the image in the broadcast version distorts it, but you can see that all the lines match up exactly.

So the "old A1" went under the camera to make the scene in Ep. 37. The "new A1" did not. Case closed.

The mystery is that the "new A1" contains elements present in the sketch set that I'd previously obtained, which consist of roughs and shuuseis reflecting the pre-genga and post-genga design of this sequence. There's no indication that the sketch set is a forgery; indeed, it accurately reflects many of the most dramatic features of this splashy magical attack. And the number on the cel ("43") matches the number written on the sketches. And the handwriting of the label on the top left of the "new A1" is similar to that found on a cel from a magical attack (Selece casting "Water Dragon") that was verifiably used as a bank in Eps. 37 and 49 (and maybe elsewhere). That cel was numbered "42," which makes no sense as a cut number (both uses appearing after the eyecatch).

So I'm inclined to accept the "new A1" as a genuine piece of production art from Studio CLAMP, originally ordered as part of a set of banks that would be dropped into episodes as needed. The numbers on the cels reflect bank numbers, rather than cut numbers. Selece "42" was so used at least twice. But the "43" bank (including my "new A1") for some reason was not used in Ep. 37; rather, a new set was ordered (including my "old A1" and my A7).

Why? I can't tell so far, but I'm tending toward the idea that the "new A1" was rejected by the studio for some reason. Maybe the treatment of the battle armor was the issue. (Even though Hikaru doesn't wear battle armor in the cut before this one or the cut after it!) So it is similar to the CCS Ep. 42 cels of Sakura being transfigured by the presence of The Light, one set of which was painted (following directions on the genga, which I also own), then rejected and replaced by a new set painted to new directions. (And both batches later placed onto the market for collectors to sort out...)
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

Such an intriguing find! I'm glad the price finally dropped enough that you could purchase this mystery!
sensei

Post by sensei »

Yeah, and I'm glad it's now in the same room with the sketch and the "old" A1. Makes certain lines of inquiry possible that couldn't be done otherwise.

BTW, I've since found two more cels in RS collections that must belong to the "43" ("old A1" version of "Fire Arrow"), one in Rayman's Cel Gallery (the A3) and another in The Snake's Den (not numbered, but evidently falling soon after). That's been in Snakeskii's gallery since 2002, and I know she was a rabid, comprehensive fan of MKR. Even she concedes of this image, " I can't find this cel! If someone could tell me what episode this is from I would be very grateful."

I'd assume that if she could not locate an exact screen cap, I'm likely right that "43" (the "bushy eyelash" version used in my "new" A1 and in these two sequence-mates) was never actually used. However, "178" (the sparse eyelashes version from which my "old" A1 and A7 come) verifiably did go under the camera.