Pan Cel Storage

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
transatlantique

Pan Cel Storage

Post by transatlantique »

Hey gang

So I've read all about storage of cels and I have all of mine safely stored in nice bags and whatnot. But I now have a pan cel with no clue how to storage. I don't necessarily want to frame it (though I could, I just cant afford to right now). Any suggestions? I'm not seeing mylar bags in the size I would need (but admittedly could be wrong).
Always collecting: Cardcaptor Sakura & Sailor Moon
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Pan Cel Storage

Post by Pixel »

Depends on the size of the pan cel.

I have a vertical pan cel that I think is roughly 10x16.5, I've got in in an 11x17" ClearBags polypropylene bag, and then in a 14x17" itoya Profolio.

Actually I've got two vertical pan cels, but the other one sadly looks like it might not be complete. Anyway, I store all my oversize cels in that Itoya.

Might not be the best solution, but it beats nothing.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

How big is your pan cel?

This actually used to be a popular thread category with curators bragging about their surprisingly huge endowments. But I understand that you are asking about how properly to store bigger-than-usual cels.

I have two larger-sized Itoyas, one 14 x 17 inches and the other 18 x 24 inches. They manage all but the very hugest cels that I own, which live in a 25 x 31 inch archival box (stood up on one edge) made of buffered boards.

Rather than getting very large (and expensive) bags of the right size, I've found that slitting smaller bags down one side and fitting them around the corners of larger items is a serviceable solution.
transatlantique

Post by transatlantique »

Thanks for the input. I wound up buying an 18x24 portfolio (the background was about 12x23). Its awkward and I wish there was a better solution but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Slicing up 3 cel bags to cover the background worked well. Turns out the cel itself was normal size for CCS, but the background is massive.
Always collecting: Cardcaptor Sakura & Sailor Moon
sensei

Post by sensei »

Another option (perhaps for the future as you already have your extra-large Itoya): Store the cel in a standard Itoya and store the background in a flat archival box (the kind made for posters). It's generally thought to be better to save paper artifacts in a separate place from acetate ones anyhow (though I still have a number of extra-large cels that are still mated with their bgs). It depends on how often that cel + bg are going to get out to cons etc. soon. If not soon,then it makes sense to store them separately.