Stuck cels with extra complications - is this normal?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Gatsby01

Stuck cels with extra complications - is this normal?

Post by Gatsby01 »

Hi All --

I am a new collector who's lurked here for a while, and I have a problem. I was fortunate enough to purchase a Dream Cel from a collector selling down her collection. I thought the cel was 2 layers: 1 showing the characters, and 1 airbrush overlay.

What arrived was... a bit different. First, the airbrush overlay was stapled to a blank cel -- apparently by the studio, since the cel number looks to be written on the blank cel on top. Second, the character layer was apparently 2 layers -- 1 showing the scene, and 1 with an outline/color correction -- and they were stuck together but good. These 2 stuck-together cel layers had a third, transparent layer (maybe another transparent cel with holes in top cut off?) over the back of the painted portion, apparently protecting the paint, and all 3 sheets were taped together.

So instead of a 2-layer cel, I've got 2 stuck-together bunches of cel sheets: 1 airbrush layer + blank cel on top, stapled together; and 1 outline/color correction layer stuck to 1 character layer + blank cel (?) on the back over the paint, taped at the top.

My question is: What do I do about this? Do I do anything? Do I try to unstick/untape/unstaple anything? Is it normal to have these extra cel-layers hanging around, apparently for protection? I wanted to have this cel framed, both to preserve it properly and display it, but can I do that safely in this condition?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Stuck cels with extra complications - is this normal?

Post by JWR »

My suggestion for right now is to not do anything instead of risking damage

If the cel is a prized one and you really want the layers separated you should consider contacting http://www.srlabs.com/ and have them separate the layers properly. They are the one professional outfit I would trust.

Having stuck layers can be a pain and I have a few that I ended up leaving that way such as this one http://ryan.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_ ... mID=107330 due to 6 layers well stuck but in displaying it does not distract since they are all orientated properly.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I'd agree with JWR: separating layers can be done, but always with some paint sticking to the top of the bottom layer, possibly with damage visible on the other side. If the cel is valuable to you, leave it be. However, I would fit some strips of Microchamber paper between the layers where they are not stuck to sop up the fumes that otherwise would be trapped between them. Just take a sheet and cut it into thin strips and slip them in as far as they will easily go. And of course put a full sheet into the bag where the cel is kept. If the bottom sheet covers the main painted side, then there will be no issue of the paper sticking. And with the cover sheet over the airbrushing, that will keep that side safe too.

Normal? I have found that studios normally did add a blank sheet when airbrushing was done, either on top of the cel or on a special layer. So you are right that this was done at the studio, not otherwise. Adding a blank sheet at the back is not usual, though, and I'd wonder if that was done by an early owner to keep the cel from sticking to a background. Perhaps a previously framed cel?
Gatsby01

Post by Gatsby01 »

Thank you both for your advice. :bow I'll leave the poor cel alone for now, and see if I can frame it in this condition without anything going horribly wrong. the microchamber paper between cel layers is a really good idea! Thank you! (goes off to find some scissors)