Ikuko Itoh's shuusei?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Ikuko Itoh's shuusei?

Post by Pixel »

Those are marvelous settei, DC.

Looking at Kotomi-chan, it's easy to see that Itou-san has excellent knowledge of anatomy.
jiangdc
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by jiangdc »

Pixel wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:58 pm Those are marvelous settei, DC.

Looking at Kotomi-chan, it's easy to see that Itou-san has excellent knowledge of anatomy.
Definitely, she is the best :D :D :D
Autograph focused collection. Collect cel, genga and douga on favorite characters from animes.
RS: http://jiangdc.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
INS: https://www.instagram.com/dccollectiongallery/
heavenskyking

Post by heavenskyking »

Following up - I received the genga set. Unfortunately there are some partials and there's no signs that would clinch it for sure they're Ikuko Itoh's drawing. They're beautiful though, and I'm still staring at them often :D The Uranus sketches are gorgeous.
sensei wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:16 pm However, she regularly supervised the episode animation directors' work for both series, and was prone to polish or even, at times, replace their work with "shuusei no shuusei" (revision of the revision) sketches. The most reliable sign of her presence is a very distinctive way she had of writing the "shuusei" kanji,which looks like “T⅔.” (See this page for examples.) She also had a very distinctive way of writing the common sequence number "A1" that I explain at too great length on this page. (Because I soon after found that the rest of the sketches from this cut were owned by another RS collector, including one with the trademark “T⅔.”)

(BTW, the "A1" on the genga is the writing of the key animator, not the episode animation director, so it means nothing that it won't match Itou-sama's practice. [She always circled only the "1" and not the "A" beside it.])
I have since obtained a SuperS set, and I'm happy to say that they do have Itoh-sensei's trademark (the T⅔ and the @) , which, I wouldn't have known if not for your post, sensei, since she wasn't credited for this episode. I have checked many websites, including the sakugawiki, but there's no mention of her name in this particular episode. Katsumi Tamegai was the animation director. Perhaps this is another case of her correcting the animation director's work, or perhaps she was simply lending a helping hand because of the show's hectic schedules. Either way, I'm glad. Although since it's not uncommon for artists/animation directors to do revision without being credited that gives more room for doubt as to whether the previous Uranus sketches were done by her (I'd still like to think so!)

These shuuse are fairly complicated compared to the Uranus sketches, so like Rekka Alexiel said, those are likely the practice sheets.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

Yeah, "shuusei no shuusei" = "my revision of your revision." So the first revision was by the episode animation director, and the second by this artist's supervisor, i.e., the chief AD for Sailor Stars, i.e., Ikuko Itou.