Microchamber paper substitutes?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
heavenskyking

Microchamber paper substitutes?

Post by heavenskyking »

I was wondering if there’s another way to absorb the acid from the cels other than using them. Microchamber papers are impossible to obtain where I live, sadly. I looked up bagsunlimited but it costs a bit too much (plus shipping) and they don’t have smaller packs (the pessimist side of me thinks I probably wouldn’t need 100 papers for a very long time, heh).

Would putting acid-free paper help? Airing them out? Argh.

:l
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Microchamber paper substitutes?

Post by Matt »

Yeah, MCP is expensive and Bags Unlimited has been out of stock for a long time. I use MCP for all my paper but I don't use it for cels. Just keep your cels well ventilated and change your bags when they tell you and you'll be good.

I'm going on 24 years with my set up. I place the cel in a polypropylene bag, slice the bag open at the top so a complete "L" shape is attached and the other "L" shape is open (I don't know if that makes sense) then I place the bagged cel in a landscape Itoya folder. The landscape folder is open at the top of the cel which allows greater air flow / ventilation then if you put a cel in a bag that only vents from one side. I'm sorry it's really hard to describe but if you're interested I can take some pictures and post them.
heavenskyking

Post by heavenskyking »

I think I could imagine what you meant, Matt :^^: I have been eying the Itoya folder too. It’s the 11” x 14” one.

Which one of these should I get?

https://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-I ... ref=plSrch

or

https://www.amazon.com/Itoya-Profolio-E ... olio+11x14
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Matt »

I'm very familiar with the first link. It's a nice sturdy book. I'm not familiar with second one..(sorry).. the images look the same other than the cover might be a different material?

This is the book that I have switched to.

https://www.amazon.com/Profolio-Classic ... +landscape

I like this one because when I open the book the cels are already facing me, I don't have to turn the book to look at the art. The landscape also allows me to cut the cel bag open at the top of the cel which vents directly through the top of the book. The other books are good but they will only vent through the side. .. I really should take some pictures lol..
heavenskyking

Post by heavenskyking »

That is so nice. I ordered it :D

If you don’t mind, a photo would be great. I’m not sure if I’m imagining it right/wrong. Using the vertical book the cel vents through the side, and the top of the landscape book does have more length, so it means a few more CMs of ventilation.

I think most people store cels and sketches in different books (I saw a pretty neat acid-free box too for sketches), however since my cels collection is still small I’m thinking of putting them together with my sketches. Like I’m gonna start putting the sketches from the back, and the cels from the beginning of the book. That way I can also admire the sketches easily. Or is that so not recommended?
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Matt »

heavenskyking wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:31 am That is so nice. I ordered it :D

If you don’t mind, a photo would be great. I’m not sure if I’m imagining it right/wrong. Using the vertical book the cel vents through the side, and the top of the landscape book does have more length, so it means a few more CMs of ventilation.

I think most people store cels and sketches in different books (I saw a pretty neat acid-free box too for sketches), however since my cels collection is still small I’m thinking of putting them together with my sketches. Like I’m gonna start putting the sketches from the back, and the cels from the beginning of the book. That way I can also admire the sketches easily. Or is that so not recommended?

Sorry, I'm very busy with Christmas but will have the pictures in the next day or so.
heavenskyking

Post by heavenskyking »

Matt wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:12 pm Sorry, I'm very busy with Christmas but will have the pictures in the next day or so.
No hurry, anytime you can. My itoya won’t arrive for a while too. Happy Christmas!
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Post by Matt »

Well...I'm late..but here are the pics

http://brickwallpeanuts.rubberslug.com/ ... esID=51991

In there are a couple pictures that show how some collectors store their sketches, I used to store mine this way. I store most of mine now in two mil mylar along with the 440 buffered boards. For series that aren't super important to me, I will put them in a 2 mil mylar with a white on white long term storage board and place them standing up in a sturdy vault box. I don't think there is anything wrong with storing your sketches in the same book as the cels. I did it for 15+ years. It just depends on your personal system and how picky you are. Several years ago I separated all my cels in the Itoya's with only one cel per page, to avoid added weight against each page. All the sketches, douga's, genga's, were bagged and boarded and kept together in a vault box. All my backgrounds were also bagged and boarded separately and placed in their own vault box....

Why? ..... who knows lol All I know is that when I want to scan a cel it takes forever to locate the cel, sketch(s) and the background(s) ....we collectors do strange things. .. With time you'll create your own system that works for best for you
heavenskyking

Post by heavenskyking »

Matt wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:53 pm Well...I'm late..but here are the pics

http://brickwallpeanuts.rubberslug.com/ ... esID=51991

In there are a couple pictures that show how some collectors store their sketches, I used to store mine this way. I store most of mine now in two mil mylar along with the 440 buffered boards. For series that aren't super important to me, I will put them in a 2 mil mylar with a white on white long term storage board and place them standing up in a sturdy vault box. I don't think there is anything wrong with storing your sketches in the same book as the cels. I did it for 15+ years. It just depends on your personal system and how picky you are. Several years ago I separated all my cels in the Itoya's with only one cel per page, to avoid added weight against each page. All the sketches, douga's, genga's, were bagged and boarded and kept together in a vault box. All my backgrounds were also bagged and boarded separately and placed in their own vault box....

Why? ..... who knows lol All I know is that when I want to scan a cel it takes forever to locate the cel, sketch(s) and the background(s) ....we collectors do strange things. .. With time you'll create your own system that works for best for you
Thanks so much! Sorry for being so late in replying. Things got crazy after the holidays ended. However, I did receive my itoya and it was very nice. I’m gonna cut my plastic bags the way you do :)

Meanwhile, I also ordered this from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MicroChamber-P ... SwylBcAgaX

It was still in my price range and 50 sheets are more than enough for me now.