What are good ways to clean cells from dust?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
heavenskyking

What are good ways to clean cells from dust?

Post by heavenskyking »

I have a couple of cels where they are two cels stuck together. However, I can still peel off the area outside of the stuck image. The thing is, in that area there are many accumulation of what seems to be dust and small particles in between. I have tried to wipe them off with soft cloth from all 4 sides, even used a damp one, but I can’t seem to get rid of them completely. It’s driving me bonkers :s

I guess if there’s a rice paper stuck behind I wouldn’t have noticed the dust but it’s a naked cel and the dusts are obvious when I’m peering at it against the light or dark background (not all dark BG - they don’t show against the black of Itoya).

Even if it’s mold I can’t seem to wipe them off too. I don’t know if it’s wise to try chemicals like soap or alcohol or something.

Or perhaps it’s a normal thing for cels? :|
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: What are good ways to clean cells from dust?

Post by sensei »

You may have a mild case of oxidation of the cel matrix itself. That's part of the normal aging process of celluloid acetate and sometimes looks like dust but will not come off even with mild dishwashing soap and water (which removes heavy dust). As the cels are in close contact, fumes generated by both tend to collect in the spaces between, speeding up this deterioration. There is sadly no remedy for this but it might be a good idea to cut a sheet of microchamber paper into strips and insert these into the parts of the stuck cels. That will shut down or at least slow down the process that causes this chemical process.