Scanning Cels?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
dave_fanel

Scanning Cels?

Post by dave_fanel »

Hi guys,

I think I'm FINALLY at a place were I have some time to finally start scanning and cataloging my art work. I'm curious what settings people use? I read the last scanning thread in the forum, but it was from about a year ago and really more about equipment than actual file information.

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks!
kamidake
Kishin - Fierce God

Re: Scanning Cels?

Post by kamidake »

What are your choices? My scanner software is super basic, so it's either b/w or photograph, and I picked photograph. Also setting everything to neutral so I'm not altering anything from the scan. If color needs to be improved I use photoshop afterwards. But some sketches scan really light and I up the contrast.
"If ifs and buts are clusters and nuts, we'd all have a bowl of granola." -- Stephen Colbert
http://ix.rubberslug.com/
dave_fanel

Post by dave_fanel »

I'm probably going to use the scanner I have at work, a Toshiba e-STUDIO5506AC. I actually think I would prefer just the choice between b&w or color, there are too many options :crackup
Pixel
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Pixel »

One of the problems I come across with scanning is that typical home scanner/multifunction document handling device is not big enough to scan the whole piece. Usually 8 1/2" x 14" is about the largest you can find, and that's too short of the short side to get most animation art completely in one scan.

Then there is the annoying business of scanners being deliberately attenuated against red and reddish colors in an effort to deter currency counterfeiting.

Which begs the question, what do commercial interests do when they have a legitimate need to scan in documents high in red color content?