Dougas for Digital Anime

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
evetan

Dougas for Digital Anime

Post by evetan »

Hi. Just got into the hobby after an uneventful trip to Nakano Broadway where the cels I wanted were either too pricy+cash only or not from the series I wanted. Then I found the Mandarake auction site and "accidently" bid on a Kiki's Delivery Service cel... that stated it had vinegar syndrome, and I didn't check what that meant until it was too late. Taking proper measures now.

Anyways, I was looking at Mandarake and found some Kara no Kyoukai dougas on auction for quite the penny. Are dougas from digital productions rare? Haven't found too much reading material surrounding that topic.

The Auction: https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/i ... dex=605552
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Dougas for Digital Anime

Post by JWR »

Hello evetan, Welcome to Beta.

No dougas and other sketch art are not rare but like cels are one offs and are the only thing one can get for the Digital CG series and depending on the series can be found and collected.
Besides Mandarake you should consider checking out Yahoo Japan auctions to get an idea of what is out there for purchase as well as get an idea of the current pricing of the different series.

JWR
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
evetan

Post by evetan »

Thanks.

Any opinion on whether a cel has a certificate or not?
I'm guessing most cels in the market don't have certificates like Mandarake.
One of the reasons I'm a lil afraid to try Yahoo Japan.
JWR

Post by JWR »

Cels and Sketches for anime series do not come with COA's unlike a lot of US and Disney so for most series it is best to do your research.
Mandarake may well offer COA's with cels /sketches they sell but I do not believe that those are not issued by the studios as far as I have seen. Granted it has been years since I have bought anything from them.

90% of the cels & sketches I have purchased where through YJ without any problems involving fakes.

A lot of the sketch sets do come with information such as episode/cut and timing sheet. Most are sold as complete cuts with all the production pages but others may be broken up pieces.

JWR
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison