Vinegar syndrome & cel is partially stuck to background - what to do?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Vinegar syndrome & cel is partially stuck to background - what to do?

Post by KT »

Hello,

I have a DBZ Vegeta cel that has vinegar syndrome.

I have micro chamber paper. From reading the forum, the information provided says to put the cel with the paint facing upwards while being sandwiched between micro chamber paper. I left the cel face up, I put micro chamber paper on the top, and put micro chamber between the back of the cel and the background in the area that was unstuck. Should I leave the cel out for a couple of months to air out? And when it is finished airing out, should I store it separately from the rest of my cels?

I smelled my other cels and the rest don't seem to have a problem. I aired out my other cels and I removed their cel bags and put them back in their Itoya folder. I am planning to go back in a month and put new cel bags on them. I just wanted them to air out a bit even while in storage.
Matt
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Vinegar syndrome & cel is partially stuck to background - what to do?

Post by Matt »

I just recently experienced this myself with a couple cels that I just purchased from a japan dealer. I aired out the cels for a little over two weeks in an opened garage with a fan constantly moving air over the cels. Then I sandwiched the cels between micro-chamber paper for a few more weeks. Unfortunately, nothing helped. The smell was still incredibly strong and the cels had begun to warp. I ended up throwing the cels away. It sucks. This is the first time I have experienced this in almost twenty years of collecting. I don't know of anything to do to save the art once it starts to "rot" When I realized that I couldn't save my cels I tried to experiment by using a base, such as sodium bicarbonate, to neutralize the acid in the paint. Unfortunately this didn't help either. X|
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

Matt wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:45 am I just recently experienced this myself with a couple cels that I just purchased from a japan dealer. I aired out the cels for a little over two weeks in an opened garage with a fan constantly moving air over the cels. Then I sandwiched the cels between micro-chamber paper for a few more weeks. Unfortunately, nothing helped. The smell was still incredibly strong and the cels had begun to warp. I ended up throwing the cels away. It sucks. This is the first time I have experienced this in almost twenty years of collecting. I don't know of anything to do to save the art once it starts to "rot" When I realized that I couldn't save my cels I tried to experiment by using a base, such as sodium bicarbonate, to neutralize the acid in the paint. Unfortunately this didn't help either. X|
Im sorry to hear :( Did the dealer not tell you the condition of the cels?

I think there is an influx of this happening now because cels are aging and also some collectors are not taking care of their cels properly. From what I know from reading on here, certain animation studios use different quality materials. Like DBZ cels, they shouldnt be framed and put on display because the lines of the cels are extra sensitive or something along those lines so they fade easier than other cels.

It makes one hesitate to continue in the hobby. But there must be ways to keep the cels from rotting. I mean, Disney cels cost so much money. Im sure there is ways to preserve. I think I may look into this more. Possibly art dealers would know some information about this more?

Im going to work my best to save the cel and will bring back good news to Beta about it!! :badass
grEenLeaFx
Kamisama - God

Post by grEenLeaFx »

In my experience once it starts there is no turning back and they will get worse to the point where you will eventually have to toss them. Definitely isolate them from your other pieces as it can infect them as well. Good luck, but I say cut your losses and get rid of it. I have been collecting close to 20 years and only really started running into vinegar syndrome the last few years through purchases on YJ. I also have that same fear as all cels have the potential to start the degrading process and if its really worth continuing to collect something unstable which could just shrivel away one day.
KT
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by KT »

grEenLeaFx wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:30 am In my experience once it starts there is no turning back and they will get worse to the point where you will eventually have to toss them. Definitely isolate them from your other pieces as it can infect them as well. Good luck, but I say cut your losses and get rid of it. I have been collecting close to 20 years and only really started running into vinegar syndrome the last few years through purchases on YJ. I also have that same fear as all cels have the potential to start the degrading process and if its really worth continuing to collect something unstable which could just shrivel away one day.
Oh no :( So I should just throw it away? It's a wishlist cel of mine. Here it is:

Or should I just put it in my scanner and copy it as a memento to remember it? :(

It really makes me feel like getting back into collecting isnt worth it. Should one just sell their collection nowadays since the cels have aged quite a bit?

EDIT:

This page talks about saving film from vinegear syndrome: https://www.filmpreservation.org/preser ... r-syndrome

"If a film is in advanced stages of vinegar syndrome, it needs cold/frozen storage or duplication in order to preserve it."

So does this mean we should be storing our cels in refrigerators?
grEenLeaFx
Kamisama - God

Post by grEenLeaFx »

Definitely scan it now to at least save it as a memento. Once the vinegar syndrome starts it moves pretty rapidly from my experience and usually completely destroys the cel within a year. I think what complicates your cel is it is also stuck to the background. I haven't tried freezing, but it would probably damage the paint over time because it hardens just like how some frozen items get freezer burn. I wouldn't put it in the fridge because I bet it would make your whole unit smell like vinegar and the moisture would not help. Instead of tossing it maybe you can put it up on ebay with a low starting bid and clearly state it has the beginning stages of vinegar syndrome. I just say that because some buyers may not care since it is a cool scene from DBZ and you may recoup at least something. Might be still be kind of unethical so I dunno. Anyhow I see amazing DBZ cels on Mandrake all the time, so I bet you will find another wishlist item on there in no time.
D_Animation
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by D_Animation »

alternatively, vacuum-seal it in a desiccator and store it in frozen nitrogen for science :cheers

i'm kidding. or am i?
D no function beer well without
Gallery: https://www.danimation-cels.com
Marsu

Post by Marsu »

Or you can try this new conservation service: https://www.celoasis.com/index.php/home ... treatment/