Best ink to use for Cel restoration/Fancels?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Best ink to use for Cel restoration/Fancels?

Post by Fiore »

Has anyone done their own cel restoration layer/fancel, or know of some one who has? What is your choice of ink to use?

I remember seeing a video on YouTube of animator from those times who said that "Indian ink" was generally used in productions.

There is like only one fancel tutorial I saw on internet, and generally it’s any type of ink, usually Sakura microns, Fabre-Castell or Copic used. How do these hold up after many years? Were they difficult to use (have to do many layering/stroke to get dark black)?

From recent experimenting, I personally find permanent ink to be the best at drying super fast and withstanding smudging and scratches.<3 the ink literally adheres to a smooth finish (though it has tiny bit of bluish tint and not super black)....but I wonder if it’s a good thing in the long run for the acetate?; anyone used permanent ink before?