Tragic Case of the Vinegar

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Tragic Case of the Vinegar

Post by Fiore »

Still so new to this hobby...
I was able to see the destructive force of Vinegar Syndrome first hand today.

This cel comes from a lot I won from Yahoo Auction Japan. While opening the bundle the smell was very pungent! (XxX)
I went through each one to un bag since it looked like no one has freed them from their bags in forever! 8O
(Even the wrinkles of the bag showed up on some of the cel paint from the back.)
When I got to the problem cel, I didn't even know it until I took it out of the cel bag. I didn't smell anything...(it might have been because my nose was already filled with the smell from the bag that they all came in) but I did notice it was warped. It must be a stage 3? It so sad it was one of the nice cels from the lot I really liked. I couldn't tell from the auction photo that it was warped because of how all the bags clinged to the cels in photo.

Took some photos to remember it by~ :l

This is cel of Kyoshiro Nagumo from GPX Cyber Formula Saga/Sin

Good bye gorgeous~<3

I'm hoping the other cels in lot will be okay.They will be airing out. Got a separate portfolio for these alone just in case. (one or two had a strong smell, but no other bad signs)

There should be a memorial page for discarded cels due to Vinegar Syndrome~ /sob
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Tragic Case of the Vinegar

Post by sensei »

Sorry to hear that: the image was a strong one otherwise with good trace lines. About all you can do is scan or photograph it for posterity. I've heard of some services that claim to be able to neutralize VS but I have heard no experiences with it, and all I've read on hobbyists's sites is that once begun the reaction is irreversible. (The pages on VS related to rare knife collectors are sobering: the handles are often celluloid, and one site called this material a "time bomb" in collectors' inventories as the reaction spreads to others nearby.)

I'd let the others air out thoroughly -- at least 24 hours and maybe more -- and be sure to store them with a sheet or two of Microchamber paper. I've found that remarkably effective in reducing the puckering that normally occurs when a cel is kept in a fresh bag, even with a side or two slit for ventilation.
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Re: Tragic Case of the Vinegar

Post by Fiore »

Aw thanks always for the tips Sensei. :bawl I ran out of Microchamber paper and had to order more. Will be here in two days.
If any thing weird starts to happen with the others, I'll definitely post here about it.
I was thinking of keeping this one for case study, but it okay.
I searched up on the knife handles and that is so sad. Plus I didn't know some were made with celluloid. Very interesting.