Storing Cels Vertically, do they curl?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
sunny

Storing Cels Vertically, do they curl?

Post by sunny »

I am new to Cel collecting and the consensus seems to be: Store cels vertically in Itoya portfolios in poly bags (1 side open) and microchamber paper.

Do Cels curl when they are stored for a long time? Since they are stored vertically, they are not perfectly straight and somewhat flexible.
Should I use more cardboard backing on top of the black Itoya backing? Would making the cel not flex at all be better for it?

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Storing Cels Vertically, do they curl?

Post by JWR »

I have been storing mine just inside the sleeves of the Itoya that way since I started collecting cels and have not had that problem. going on 15 + years.

I might add I store mine with the Itoya "spine" up and the "book opening" on the floor. That way the weight is on the itoya plastic and the sleeves hang not in contact with the ground.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
Fiore
Otaku - Fanatic

Post by Fiore »

JWR wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:51 pm I might add I store mine with the Itoya "spine" up and the "book opening" on the floor. That way the weight is on the itoya plastic and the sleeves hang not in contact with the ground.
Do you have picture? I’ve also been wondering about curl issues. I haven’t stored them long enough to see any curl yet, but I would like to store it another way to prevent warp.
tsunu

Post by tsunu »

JWR wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:51 pm I have been storing mine just inside the sleeves of the Itoya that way since I started collecting cels and have not had that problem. going on 15 + years.

I might add I store mine with the Itoya "spine" up and the "book opening" on the floor. That way the weight is on the itoya plastic and the sleeves hang not in contact with the ground.
If I am understanding this correctly, you are using an Itoya binder and you have just been putting cels inside of the sleeve with the black (piece of paper? I am unsure what it is) on the back of the cel. Then, you lay out the binder practically like a book that is laid out on the ground or on a wall? If so, do you have any pictures of this? I am a bit curious
JWR

Post by JWR »

Easiest way to explain what I do is to take an Itoya book and place it spine up flat against a wall so the opening is on the bottom.
The hard plastic of the itoya extends about 1/2 to close to an inch from the sleeves you place the cel into. Simular to how the pages of a hard cover book are inset from the hard cover flaps.This allows the sleeves to hang without weight on them and keeps them from getting bent or squished by weight storing them flat would cause.
looking down on them they would look simular to these Image

I keep mine against a wall between a spare bed and night stand in our house that is temp controled.

Hope this helps- jwr
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison