Getting paint spots off the front of a cel?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Getting paint spots off the front of a cel?

Post by noildoof »

So for whatever reason the seller of a cel I recently got thought it would be a fantastic idea to just stick the correction layer, completely misaligned, in with the cel. I know it wasn't stuck before I got it, since the pictures showed the layers separately. But when I got it and tried to separate the layers, spots of the paint from the top layer stuck to the bottom and I have no idea how to get them off. I also have no clue how to fix the missing paint from the top layer now...

At least the cel was cheap.
rwrecker

Re: Getting paint spots off the front of a cel?

Post by rwrecker »

I posted about this very same thing this morning and didn't see that you posted the night before!

I'm in the same situation.

Recently I purchased a cel on eBay and the two were stuck together. I wanted to assess how stuck they were, and just using a pencil the two cels were separating easy. However I went too far and at the end and too much confidence, and a little paint came off of the backing of the front cel, leaving the paint on the front of the back cel.

The back cel is still in good shape, and in case you're wondering, I didn't pay a lot of money for them ($55 total for the two cels).

With that said, my strategy is to find the safest way to remove the stuck paint from the background cel, then reverse the cel order in order to hide the damage I inflicted on the front cel. I think this would work visually, but I don't want to damage the good cel any more than it already is by using the wrong cleaning solution.

And I'm sure there will be many here who tell me not to do anything and leave it the way it is. I understand the risks of this move.

My thought is that since the stuck paint is on the front of the backing cel, and it's a small area, I could carefully remove this paint if I use the right cleaning method.

Any suggestions? At this point any insight would be very helpful, and if you want to tell me I'm dumb for thinking about doing this you are welcome too - as long as you also have a suggestion on how you would safely do it!
rwrecker

Post by rwrecker »

BTW - after searching, I found this might be helpful; http://www.anime-beta.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 61&t=28538

It's from about 10 years ago, but the answer was out there!
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by noildoof »

Thank you!! I'll try this out.
rwrecker

Post by rwrecker »

I gave this a try - and it worked pretty good. It's hard to control, even when you're being careful, but I found that using a Q-tip and going very slow helped. I would scrub a little, then wipe up the area with the clean side of the Q-tip, which also cleaned up some of the paint.