Sketch that was stored with a vinegar syndrome cel?

For the n00bs of cel collecting and production art . . . and for some of us old-timers, too. Post your questions on anything that puzzles you.
noildoof
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Sketch that was stored with a vinegar syndrome cel?

Post by noildoof »

Recently I got in a couple of cels, and as I feared might be the case with one of them, it had vinegar syndrome. It's not that big of a loss, it only cost me 100 yen. I'm not too worried about the other cel, it was from a different seller and although they were shipped together each one was sealed in a separate paper envelope.

However, there was a matching sketch that came with the vinegar syndrome cel, and I'm not really sure what to do with it. It was in the same bag as the cel, so clearly it's been exposed to the fumes the cel is giving off. I'm not really sure how VS affects paper differently from cels. I put it in an open cel bag with a sheet of microchamber paper, and placed it with my other VS cels in a separate room from the rest of my collection. Should I leave it there? If I put it somewhere else and let it air out long enough, will it be safe to store in the same room as my collection?
JWR
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator
Kitten Rescuer - Moderator

Re: Sketch that was stored with a vinegar syndrome cel?

Post by JWR »

Yes the sketch can be kept after you let it air out for a day. The paper will not be affected by what is affecting the cel other than the smell.
"Like the wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we are, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment." Harlan Ellison
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Re: Sketch that was stored with a vinegar syndrome cel?

Post by sensei »

The acid produced by the VS may impact the paper and yellow it. But the Microchamber paper should take care of that. Yes, let it air out thoroughly and store paper separately from plastic.